Peripheral Vascular Disease - Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Please select the black square:

What is peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and brain. While there are many causes of peripheral vascular disease, doctors commonly use the term peripheral vascular disease to refer to peripheral artery disease (peripheral arterial disease, PAD), a condition that develops when the arteries that supply blood to the internal organs, arms, and legs become completely or partially blocked as a result of atherosclerosis.

Return to Peripheral Vascular Disease

Comment from: missmomof1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was recently told about having PAD. I am 33 yrs old and I have been having issues since I was 23. I've always been going to the doctors and telling them my symptoms and always get put off. It wasn't til one of my veins burst that finally something got figured out. It took 2 years after the vien burst but at least I can finally move on without much trouble. If they would of listened when I was 23, I might not be where I am now. I no longer can work and am constantly fatigued.

Comment from: Misty123, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have always been very active worked 12 hours per day (constantly walking) and was underweight. I have always eaten a healthy diet, with very little meat, I have no diabetes. But, I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for years. I was in 3 car accidents in 1994 and was having problems with my legs and was diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease. This does not run in my family. I had a fem-pop done on my right leg and was put on Plavix, aspirin, and pentoxifylline. All went fairly well for a few years, I have stopped smoking, no longer able to work, can walk only short distances before stopping because of the leg pain. I had a blood clot go to my right lung from the right leg surgery (pulmonary embolism), I had a right carotidectomy. Now I have been having pain in my left leg especially at night (Charlie horses)or 'rest pain.' My doctor says I will need to get a stent or perhaps another bypass surgery. I do not look forward to this because the first one did not heal and I ended up having two surgeries on my right leg. I'm praying the stent is all I need.