Urethral Stricture - Treatment

What kinds of treatment (medications or surgery) did you receive for your urethral stricture?

What is the treatment for urethral stricture?

There are essentially no real medical treatments (medications) for urethral strictures other than that offering symptom control (for example, pain medications to control discomfort). Surgery remains the only treatment for individuals with uncontrolled symptoms of urethral narrowing.

Surgery may be recommended in the following circumstances:

• Severe problems with urination and urinary retention
  • Kidney stones in the bladder
  • Recurrent urinary tract infections
  • Increasing post-void residual (amount of urine left in bladder after urination)
  • Failure of conservative measures to control symptoms (pain)
Return to Urethral Stricture

Comment from: mahesh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I have this problem of urethral stricture for the last 7 years, and the doctor suggested an operation but I didn't and started using homeopathic medicine. It gives some sort of relief but no permanent cure. The thing is that it's not the same every time when I pass urine, sometime it is normal and sometime it is more painful. I wondered and still I am not able to take the decision that what we should do whether go for operation or use of homeopathic medicine oar Unani medicine. When it is painful it irritates so much.

Comment from: shashank, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have undergone dilation of urethra done under local anesthesia for around 3 years and then have been on self-dilation for 10 years. Then I have undergone buccal mucosa augmenting surgery. Since the last six years the frequency of dilation has been once in 3 months. No permanent cure appears to be in store.