Urethral Stricture - Treatment

What kinds of treatment (medications or surgery) did you receive for your urethral stricture?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for urethral stricture?

There are essentially no real medical treatments (medications) for urethral strictures other than those offering symptom control (for example, pain medications to control discomfort). Surgery remains the only treatment for individuals with uncontrolled symptoms of urethral narrowing.

Surgery may be recommended in the following circumstances:

• Severe problems with urination and urinary retention
  • Kidney stones in the bladder
  • Recurrent urinary tract infections
  • Increasing post-void residual (amount of urine left in bladder after urination)
  • Failure of conservative measures to control symptoms (pain)
Return to Urethral Stricture

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

The treatment is urethral dilatation, and then I had a catheter for 10 days. After a month of having the first dilatation, I began to experience the same symptoms (pain when urinating, decreased stream while urinating), and then I had my second dilatation. My doctor found out I was worse than the first time. Now I have to self-dilatate every single day.

Comment from: shashank, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I have undergone dilation of urethra done under local anesthesia for around 3 years and then have been on self-dilation for 10 years. Then I have undergone buccal mucosa augmenting surgery. Since the last six years the frequency of dilation has been once in 3 months. No permanent cure appears to be in store.