Urethral Stricture - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a urethral stricture.

How is urethral stricture diagnosed?

When the medical history, physical examination, and symptoms are suggestive of urethral stricture, additional diagnostic tests may be helpful in further evaluation. Urinalysis (UA), urine culture, and urethral culture for sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, chlamydia) are some of the typical tests that may be ordered in this setting. Examination of the prostate and screening for prostate cancer (manual exam and measurement of prostate specific antigen or PSA) may also be done by the doctor.

Oftentimes, imaging and endoscopic studies are necessary to confirm the diagnosis and identify the cause of urethral strictures.

Return to Urethral Stricture

Comment from: Dan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I have had 5 incidents of urethral stricture, from about the age of 35. Each time it has involved a decreasing urine flow that occurred over a number of hours and got to the point that I couldn't urinate at all. Recognizing the problem each time I've gone to emergency but was not treated in time and needed to have the bladder punctured with a syringe through the abdomen to relieve the pressure. With each of the first 3 incidents I was told that it was because of an enlarged prostate but was finally diagnosed with a stricture. The 4th time I was operated on (while conscious) and had some of the structure removed by an operation that did not involve opening up the penis. One year later and it has reoccurred. It was not a total emergency situation as I was having regular flow rate checks. But after 18 months the doctor thought it was best to catheterize me again (with a bag) for a month. He is reluctant to do a urethra reconstruction (as am I) and from today I now have to self-catheterize twice a day to keep the urethra dilated. I am not sure I can do this indefinitely.

Comment from: Freeby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

Christmas 2009 I was given a radical prostatectomy and a catheter was left in for a number of weeks. When the catheter was removed it was unknown to the nurse that my urethral tube had grafted itself onto the catheter and when the catheter was quickly pulled out my urethral internal tube was ripped in three places along my penis. I have had strictures for the last 5 years where I have had to have the urethral tube widened on several occasions as the tube wants to close itself up for repairs. I have for the last 4 years been self-catheterizing myself to urinate properly. I am so tired of being in the right spot at the right time with the right equipment to relieve myself. My son had stents used to keep arteries open during his bout of cancer and I am thinking that there must be something similar for urethral injury. The operation in 2009 also left me impotent but we have found a solution for that problem.