Urethral Stricture - Diagnosis

Describe the events that led to a diagnosis of a urethral stricture.

How is urethral stricture diagnosed?

When the medical history, physical examination, and symptoms are suggestive of urethral stricture, additional diagnostic tests may be helpful in further evaluation. Urinalysis (UA), urine culture, and urethral culture for sexually transmitted diseases (gonorrhea, chlamydia) are some of the typical tests that may be ordered in this setting. Examination of the prostate and screening for prostate cancer (manual exam and measurement of prostate specific antigen or PSA) may also be done by the doctor.

Oftentimes, imaging and endoscopic studies are necessary to confirm the diagnosis and identify the cause of urethral strictures.

Return to Urethral Stricture

Comment from: Mel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

The events that led to my diagnosis were recurrent urinary infections, painful urination (burning sensation), difficulty starting urine flow, and decreased urine stream. My urologist performed an endoscopy and found out my urethra was pretty much blocked by tissue.

Comment from: Suthard, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was diagnosed this past year with a tipped right kidney caused by childbirth. The urethral stricture first showed up in my 20s. I don"t have bladder infections, very rarely, but many RBC cells show up in my urine. At times I have edema, and was also diagnosed with spinal cord injuries in the neck, C4 and C7. I have dilations every now and then per insurance allowance. I experience nausea sometimes in the morning.