Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

Please select the black square:

What is erythema nodosum?

Erythema nodosum is a type of skin inflammation that is located in a certain portion of the fatty layer of skin. Erythema nodosum (also called EN) results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees. The tender lumps, or nodules, of erythema nodosum range in size from one to five centimeters. The nodular swelling is caused by a special pattern of inflammation in the fatty layer of skin.

Erythema nodosum can be self-limited and resolve on its own in three to six weeks. Upon resolution, it may leave only a temporary bruised appearance or leave a chronic indentation in the skin where the fatty layer has been injured.

Return to Erythema Nodosum

Comment from: JC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am 54 years old and have ulcerative colitis (UC). I had a pretty bad flare with my ulcerative colitis that went on for a couple of months. I started feeling like I had the flu and the next day a big red bump appeared on my ankle and over the weekend several more popped up. They are very painful and swollen. I went to my doctor and luckily she diagnosed me correctly with erythema nodosum. I also went to the dermatologist and they confirmed. I had flu symptoms and extreme pain for about 10 days and finally started prednisone and potassium iodide. I also got Vicodin for the pain so I could at least walk. I'm currently at week 8 and a lot of the bruising is gone, but both ankles still hurt and continue to swell. They think this was brought on by my UC and the flare I was having. I have had UC for 10 years and never gotten this stuff and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The pain is horrible and it totally interrupts your life.

Comment from: judomom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I was first diagnosed with erythema nodosum (EN) in March 2014 after visiting the Yucatan peninsula. I first thought it was bug bites from the Mayan ruins. After many months of tests and visits to different specialists I received the diagnosis of EN without any underlying cause. The original outbreak of red itchy bumps over my entire body has decreased and now it is limited to my lower left leg. No solution was given to me by the many specialists I visited. However, I have found relief from my chiropractor using the same low lever laser therapy used to reduce my aches related to arthritis. I still get flare ups but the weekly light therapy has reduced the bumps and there is no need for medication with all the side effects.