Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

What is erythema nodosum?

Erythema nodosum is a type of skin inflammation that is located in a certain portion of the fatty layer of skin. Erythema nodosum (also called EN) results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees. The tender lumps, or nodules, of erythema nodosum range in size from one to five centimeters. The nodular swelling is caused by a special pattern of inflammation in the fatty layer of skin.

Erythema nodosum can be self-limited and resolve on its own in three to six weeks. Upon resolution, it may leave only a temporary bruised appearance or leave a chronic indentation in the skin where the fatty layer has been injured.

Return to Erythema Nodosum

Comment from: judomom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I was first diagnosed with erythema nodosum (EN) in March 2014 after visiting the Yucatan peninsula. I first thought it was bug bites from the Mayan ruins. After many months of tests and visits to different specialists I received the diagnosis of EN without any underlying cause. The original outbreak of red itchy bumps over my entire body has decreased and now it is limited to my lower left leg. No solution was given to me by the many specialists I visited. However, I have found relief from my chiropractor using the same low lever laser therapy used to reduce my aches related to arthritis. I still get flare ups but the weekly light therapy has reduced the bumps and there is no need for medication with all the side effects.

Comment from: Lauren S., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I have not been formally diagnosed with erythema nodosum (EN), but after having a third identical flare up in the past 5 years, I suspect this is the culprit. The first time, I thought it was a severe reaction to mosquito bites. However, I live in Texas and get bitten every summer by mosquitos and am usually fine, just itchy. The second time it happened was about a year later and I went to two different doctors who had no idea what it was and just called it cellulitis. I'm currently experiencing my third flare up. It started in one spot and felt like a swollen bruise under the skin on my thigh/quadriceps muscles. Over the next few days more tender spots started cropping up on my calves, shins, and other thigh. Luckily I haven't experienced the extreme swelling and redness that others here have mentioned, but it's still painful and my legs feel achy; like I've been through a strenuous workout. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and am going to mention erythema nodosum to see if they can properly identify it or any underlying factors that may be causing it. I am trying not to worry myself too much and keep reminding myself that this has happened before and it went away on its own. However, when you read some of the underlying causes are sarcoidosis and other such diseases it can definitely get the worried thoughts going!