Erythema Nodosum - Experience

Please describe your experience with erythema nodosum.

Please select the black square:

What is erythema nodosum?

Erythema nodosum is a type of skin inflammation that is located in a certain portion of the fatty layer of skin. Erythema nodosum (also called EN) results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees. The tender lumps, or nodules, of erythema nodosum range in size from one to five centimeters. The nodular swelling is caused by a special pattern of inflammation in the fatty layer of skin.

Erythema nodosum can be self-limited and resolve on its own in three to six weeks. Upon resolution, it may leave only a temporary bruised appearance or leave a chronic indentation in the skin where the fatty layer has been injured.

Return to Erythema Nodosum

Comment from: Doreen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was diagnosed with erythema nodosum (EN) about 4 weeks ago. It is very painful, my leg is covered in swollen nodules. They say I got this from strep throat. Sometimes I can barely walk. My legs are so swollen, I can't see my ankles. I tried one medicine and I had to be taken off of it because anyone who had a stroke cannot use this medicine. My doctor basically has not done much for me. I have been in bed for 4 weeks not being able to go anywhere. I am the patient that is the one out of 200,000. I just wish this would just go away. I put cold face cloths on my legs, it helps for a while. I also have a rare type of psoriasis, which does not help my situation.

Comment from: Granny di, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have erythema nodosum. It took almost 2 years to figure it out. It got so bad I couldn't walk. Now I am being slowly taken off of prednisone and put on methotrexate. It's safer than taking prednisone for the rest of my life. However, I will have to have blood tests every month on my liver and folic acid. I also have to take additional folic acid each day. The methotrexate is taken only once per week. My condition is not related to anything else as far as I know. Hopes this helps!