Total Hip Replacement - Prognosis

What has been the prognosis for you or your relative following total hip joint replacement?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the prognosis of total hip joint replacement?

Patient education is important to ensure longevity of the replaced hip. Strenuous exercises such as running or contact sports are discouraged, since these activities can reinjure the replaced hip. Swimming is ideal in improving muscle strength and promoting mobility and endurance.

Patients should be aware and notify any caregivers that they have an artificial joint. Antibiotics are recommended during any invasive procedures, whether surgical, urological, gastroenterological, or dental. Infections elsewhere in the body should also be treated to prevent seeding of infection into the joint. This is important because bacteria can pass through the bloodstream from these sites and cause infection of the hip prosthesis.

Hip joint replacement surgery is one of the most successful joint surgeries performed today. In well-selected patients, who are appropriate candidates for total hip replacements, the procedure lasts at least 15 years in nearly 95% of patients. Long-term results have been improving impressively with new devices and techniques. The future will provide newer techniques which will further improve patient outcomes and lessen the potential for complications.

Previous contributing editor: Dennis Lee, MD

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: Ph, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have had two hip replacements, 1 two years ago, and the second one last January. I also broke my femur bone after my hip operation. It"s been a long rough road. I"m still not walking by myself 100%. I still walk with 1 crouch, because my balance is not good. For the past two months when I would bend over, something would pop out, I could feel it as well as hearing. Some of them knock me to my knees and pain is awful, it"s only get worse. I went and saw the doctor that did the operation. He said nothing is wrong I disagree. When I walk I feel something moving. At this point I don"t know what to do, or where to go for some answers. For me this is not normal.

Comment from: catmom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 74 year old retired woman who was very active until I began to have a lot of pain in my legs. Exercise and medication helped for several months, and then walking and standing became so difficult I had a total hip replacement in my right leg this summer. It was a bone-on-bone situation. The first few weeks were difficult because of exhaustion, limits to mobility, little help at home, poor appetite, etc. The hospital made sure I had adequate pain medications at the beginning. My progress, however, was very good. When the doctor stopped the addictive medication, I was actually pain free anyway except for occasional night pain in both legs which the doctor said is normal at this stage. It has been 9 weeks since the surgery, and I have been swimming and driving for three weeks. Now the only day time pain is in the left leg for which will have surgery next year. I have done physical therapy exercises and I walk regularly. Even with only one leg fully okay, my daughter says I look and act like a new person.

Stay Informed!