Cryptococcosis - Risks

Were you or someone you know at risk for cryptococcosis? Please discuss your experience.

Who gets cryptococcosis?

Cryptococcosis is disease due to a species of the fungus Cryptococcus. C. neoformans typically infects immunocompromised persons. Most people in the United States who develop cryptococcal infections are HIV-positive. However, occasionally persons with no apparent immune system problems develop cryptococcosis. Infections with C. gattii have also occurred in healthy persons without compromised immune systems.

Return to Cryptococcosis

Comment from: tsimmons, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My husband was diagnosed with this back in 2002. We have lived in Alabama all our lives and never been anywhere else. He at first had a bad cough then he started coughing up blood. It took the doctors a year or more to figure this out. They ended up removing part of his lung. He is now doing great and doesn't take any medicines for it.

Comment from: Dennis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I contracted this fungus while serving in Afghanistan. I am a healthy person without HIV. I believe I was exposed during a dust storm. Eight months later, I'm still having trouble breathing, but I'm doing a lot better. My lifestyle has changed. I accept life and will work on getting better. I am taking fluconazole 200 mg once a day, but I've been told after I've recovered I will only be at 70%-80%. My lung will be scarred for life, and I will have trouble breathing.