Brain Hemorrhage - Recovery

Did you, a friend, or relative recover from a brain hemorrhage? Please share your experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is the prognosis after a brain hemorrhage? Is recovery possible?

Many patients who have experienced a brain hemorrhage do survive. However, survival rates are decreased when the bleeding occurs in certain areas of the brain or if the initial bleed was very large.

If a patient survives the initial event of an intracranial hemorrhage, recovery may take many months. Over time and with extensive rehabilitation efforts, including physical, occupational, and speech therapy, patients can regain function. However, some can be left with persistent weakness or sensory problems. Other patients may have residual seizures, headaches, or memory problems.

Return to Brain Hemorrhage

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had a right parietal lobe bleed which also impacted my right occipital lobe 12 months ago. I was sent home 2 days after my arrival at the stroke center. I have an area of enhancement where my brain hemorrhage was so I continue to have MRIs every few months. I have short term memory issues as well as dizziness, slight cognitive decline, and slight weakness with left side but able to do self-care and light housekeeping. Neurosurgeon wants another MRI to rule out a tumor at enhanced area.

Comment from: Chuckie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My brother had a hemorrhagic stroke 3 months ago. He spent 1 week in ICU, could barely move left arm, leg or see out of left eye. After ICU, he started therapy. Now 99 percent vision is back in left eye and he is walking with a walker/cane. He still needs a caregiver. However, therapists say he will be totally or near 100 percent in 6 months to a year.