Brain Hemorrhage - Recovery

Did you, a friend, or relative recover from a brain hemorrhage? Please share your experience.

Please select the black square:

What is the prognosis after a brain hemorrhage? Is recovery possible?

Many patients who have experienced a brain hemorrhage do survive. However, survival rates are decreased when the bleeding occurs in certain areas of the brain or if the initial bleed was very large. The risk of dying due to an intracerebral hemorrhage is over 40%. If the bleeding occurs within the brainstem, this rate can be as high as 75%.

If a patient survives the initial event of an intracranial hemorrhage, recovery may take many months. Over time and with extensive rehabilitation efforts, including physical, occupational, and speech therapy, patients can regain function. However, some can be left with persistent weakness or sensory problems. Other patients may have residual seizures, headaches, or memory problems.

Return to Brain Hemorrhage

Comment from: JoJo, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 02

Both my sisters had brain Hemorrhages. One died when she was 32. The other survived but now after 8 years it seems she is having problems. She will be going into hospital soon to have tests done. She is experiencing headaches and I know she has serious personality problems which she did not have before. Anyway, that is my story I miss my sister who passed and I am fearful for this one now. JoJo

Comment from: coetzeegisela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had surgery after accident for brain hemorrhage/clot. Now I have vestibular impairment.

Stay Informed!