Brain Hemorrhage - Recovery

Did you, a friend, or relative recover from a brain hemorrhage? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is the prognosis after a brain hemorrhage? Is recovery possible?

Many patients who have experienced a brain hemorrhage do survive. However, survival rates are decreased when the bleeding occurs in certain areas of the brain or if the initial bleed was very large.

If a patient survives the initial event of an intracranial hemorrhage, recovery may take many months. Over time and with extensive rehabilitation efforts, including physical, occupational, and speech therapy, patients can regain function. However, some can be left with persistent weakness or sensory problems. Other patients may have residual seizures, headaches, or memory problems.

Return to Brain Hemorrhage

Comment from: Chuckie, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 29

My brother had a hemorrhagic stroke 3 months ago. He spent 1 week in ICU, could barely move left arm, leg or see out of left eye. After ICU, he started therapy. Now 99 percent vision is back in left eye and he is walking with a walker/cane. He still needs a caregiver. However, therapists say he will be totally or near 100 percent in 6 months to a year.

Comment from: MikeBanks, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

April 7, 2016, I woke up and was getting ready for work. I sat down and all of a sudden had the worst head pain in the front skull and the back bottom skull. Not sure what was going on, but I lay down as eye sight was going almost black and brightening again. I was shaking and sweating. My wife woke up and asked if she should call 911, and yes, I said. The ambulance picked me up but didn't think I had anything. I arrived at the hospital and they did a CTI and discovered I had twin aneurysms on my left and right front lobes, of which the left one had my skull filled with blood from left to right and front to back. They put me out and opened my left skull with a large piece of my skull and performed 3 cuts and procedures to stop the bleeding. I was in ICU for 13 days, spent the last night in a regular room and was able to go home. I will have the other aneurysm strengthened with a coil inserted in about 3 more weeks. My recovery has been a blessing for a reason I am not aware of. I am still recovering as my short term memory is not the greatest but gets better every day and the strength of my legs and whole body is getting better. What I am trying to figure out is what exercises I am able to do the best to get myself better and stronger. I currently walk but need more or know if more is better.