Brain Hemorrhage - Symptoms

Please describe your friend or relative's symptoms associated with a brain hemorrhage.

What are the symptoms of a brain hemorrhage?

Although headache is frequently associated with bleeding in the brain, it is not always present. Most often, the symptoms associated with a brain hemorrhage are dependent on the particular area of the brain that is involved. If the bleeding is in the part of the brain associated with vision, there may be problems seeing. Problems with balance and coordination, weakness on one side, numbness, or sudden seizure may occur. The speech center for many people is located in the left side of the brain and bleeding into this area may cause marked speech disturbances. If the bleeding is in the lower brain (brainstem), where most of the automatic body functions are regulated, a patient may become unresponsive or go into a coma. Additionally, sometimes symptoms of brain hemorrhage may come on very abruptly and rapidly worsen. Alternatively, the symptoms may progress slowly over many hours or even days.

Return to Brain Hemorrhage

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

Two years ago I had a brain hemorrhage. I was in the hospital for almost three months. It started with a very severe pain in the back of my head which moved up the center of my head. It was the worst pain ever. I started having weakness on my left side and it felt like my eyes were moving cross eyed. I had an angiogram done at the hospital and my bleeding had stopped so I didn"t need surgery. I had light sensitivity, felt very weak, and now I still have very bad headaches. I can't find anything to help my headaches now.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 30

My brother had a stroke 5 years ago and he was put on blood thinners. He fell and hit his head this week which caused bleeding in the brain. They are waiting to see if it will dry up on its own. He says he can feel it bleeding especially when he lays down. He has a lot of speech problems and cannot concentrate to get the words out. I wonder if anybody else can you feel the bleeding in the brain besides the headaches.