Graves' Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your Graves' disease?

What are the symptoms of Graves' disease?

Most people with Graves' disease have symptoms of an overactive thyroid, such as:

• Goiter (enlarged thyroid)
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Irritability or nervousness
  • Heat sensitivity, increased sweating
  • Hand tremors
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Thinning of skin or fine, brittle hair
  • Frequent bowel movements
  • Weight loss without dieting
  • Fatigue or muscle weakness
  • Lighter menstrual flow and less frequent periods
  • Problems getting pregnant

Unlike other causes of an overactive thyroid, Graves' disease also can cause:

• Eye changes. For some people with Graves' disease, the tissue behind the eyes becomes inflamed and swells. This can cause bulging or discomfort in one or both eyes. Sometimes it affects vision. Eye symptoms can occur before, at the same time, or after other symptoms of Graves' disease begin. It may rarely occur in people with normal thyroid function. We do not know why these eye problems occur. They are more common in people who smoke, andsmoking makes eye symptoms worse. Eye problems often get better without treatment.
  • Reddening and thickening of the skin, often on the shins and tops of the feet. This rare skin problem is not serious and is usually painless. Most people with this skin problem also have eye problems from Graves' disease.

Symptoms of Graves' disease can occur slowly or very suddenly and are sometimes confused with other health problems. Some people with Graves' disease do not have any symptoms.

Return to Graves' Disease

Comment from: Nan_inthesun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

The symptoms were tachycardia, trembling, sweating, weight loss, irritability, anxiety, dry skin/hair/nails, trouble swallowing and heat sensitivity. I've been on treatment with methimazole, and it does help, but I am all over the map with how I respond. I either go hypo, or bounce around the map on the hyper side. I have a lot of muscle and joint pain, kind of like I have the flu. I also have peripheral neuropathy although it's not terrible.