Cataract Surgery - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Cataract Surgery experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is a cataract?

A cataract is an eye disease in which the normally clear lens of the eye becomes cloudy or opaque, causing a decrease in vision. The lens focuses light onto the back of the eye (the retina) so images appear clear and without distortion. The clouding of this lens during cataract formation distorts vision. Cataracts are usually a very gradual process of normal aging but can occasionally develop rapidly. They commonly affect both eyes, but it is not uncommon for a cataract in one eye to advance more rapidly. Cataracts are very common, especially among the elderly.

Precisely why cataracts occur is unknown. However, most cataracts appear to be caused by changes in the protein structures within the lens that occur over many years and cause the lens to become cloudy. Rarely, cataracts can present at birth or in early childhood as a result of hereditary enzyme defects, other genetic disease, or systemic congenital infections. Severe trauma to the eye, eye surgery, or intraocular inflammation can also cause cataracts to develop more rapidly. Other factors that may lead to development of cataracts at an earlier age include excessive ultraviolet light exposure, exposure to ionizing radiation, diabetes, smoking, or the use of certain medications, such as oral, topical, or inhaled steroids. Other medications that may be associated with cataracts include the long-term use of statins and phenothiazines.

The total number of people who have cataracts is estimated to increase to 30.1 million by 2020. When people develop cataracts, they begin to have difficulty doing activities they enjoy. Some of the most common complaints include difficulty driving at night, reading, or traveling. These are all activities for which clear vision is essential.

Return to Cataract Surgery

Comment from: cstig, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had cataract surgery on my left eye in April 22. The first night home I had to wear a shield over my eye. The very next day I went in for a very quick check up on the eye. The doctor said it looked good. Here is my concern. When I went to bed and turned off the lights, it was as if my left eye still had something over it. I felt like I had vision only in my right eye. In my left eye, which I had the surgery on, if I covered my right eye, the vision was dim and a bit blurry, not as clear and bright as my right eye. I"m wonder if this is temporary. I"m hoping it is.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had cataract surgery last week. My second surgery caused my eye to blur. The doctor admitted something went wrong but did not know what. I did not request mono vision lenses but this turned out to be something like that. My optometrist said to give it 6 weeks to see if my brain adjusts to this lens. That's what I am doing. If it does not work I will see a different doctor. I am not happy. I paid $1600 per eye.