Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Please select the white circle:

What is the recovery time for an appendectomy?

The recovery time for an appendectomy is variable and depends on the type of the procedure, type of anesthesia, and any complications that may have developed. For example, laparoscopic appendectomy may be done on an outpatient basis so that the patient can be discharged to recover at home, while an open method may require an overnight stay or an even longer time to be discharged to go home. Normal activities can resume in a few days but full recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks during which time strenuous activity should be avoided.

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: HealthISgift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

On 5 June 2016, my 3rd day In India for holiday, I had a breakfast in a mall and then started walking in the mall with a little pain in the upper abdomen. Five hours later the pain had traveled down to right bottom abdomen. I went to the toilet and had a bit of diarrhea and vomit. I took paracetamol, antacid, and lots of water. At this point I thought it was just a gastritis. At night, at the hotel I had fever and a lot of pain. Next morning I went to the hospital, and diagnosed with appendicitis. They performed, the open appendectomy (old fashion) rather than laparoscopic appendectomy. Anyway I stayed 3 days at the hospital and I was exploring India 2 days after discharge.

Comment from: MsPats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had upper abdominal pain, then vomiting and diarrhea, on June 10. I couldn't hold anything down and pain moved to lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room on 6/11 but my temperature only went to 100. They found a perforated appendix and did laparoscopic surgery. It took 5 days for my gastrointestinal tract to recover enough to send me home with a JP (Jackson-Pratt) drain. Severe cramps started 10 days after surgery but got better when drain was removed on day 11. It's been 3 weeks since surgery but I'm still having bloating, gas, pain, belly cramps, and tenderness. I did increase my walking pretty fast, maybe too much, but more than a couple miles a day (per my Fitbit), and it makes it worse.