Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Please select the black square:

What is the recovery time for an appendectomy?

The recovery time for an appendectomy is variable and depends on the type of the procedure, type of anesthesia, and any complications that may have developed. For example, laparoscopic appendectomy may be done on an outpatient basis so that the patient can be discharged to recover at home, while an open method may require an overnight stay or an even longer time to be discharged to go home. Normal activities can resume in a few days but full recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks during which time strenuous activity should be avoided.

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: Patoka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an emergency appendectomy on February 25th and went home on the 25th. After 1 1/2 weeks I was feeling better, started work on Mar 10 and 11 and had a relapse on the evening of the 11th. I had shooting pains when passing gas, having a bowel movement and after eating. Today, Mar 16th, I'm still not better, now I have blood in urine. I will be contacting the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Comment from: wintergal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was a very healthy, 52 year old female. I had abdominal pain for 2.5 days that got worse. First visit to the emergency room (ER) misdiagnosed my appendicitis as uterine fibroids. (They didn"t bother to do blood work!) Back to ER 12 hours later with WBC of 1700. Laparoscopic surgery was done to remove my ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 6 days. During that time I had a fever and felt horrible. The day I was discharged a CT scan was done revealing a few small abscesses, fluid on my lungs and a kidney stone. I had a lot of ups and downs once I was home. I had to sleep sitting up for the fluid on the lungs and it took about a week for my digestive system to start working again. It has been over 2 weeks now since my surgery and I am finally starting to improve. If you ever have abdominal pain that you suspect might be appendicitis, don"t hesitate to get it checked. And make sure they do blood work. Waiting until it ruptures makes the recovery process much tougher.