Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Please select the white circle:

What is the recovery time for an appendectomy?

The recovery time for an appendectomy is variable and depends on the type of the procedure, type of anesthesia, and any complications that may have developed. For example, laparoscopic appendectomy may be done on an outpatient basis so that the patient can be discharged to recover at home, while an open method may require an overnight stay or an even longer time to be discharged to go home. Normal activities can resume in a few days but full recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks during which time strenuous activity should be avoided.

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: Amb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I went to bed on a Wednesday with a bad sinus infection and awoke early Thursday with absolutely no sinus infection but abdominal pain (apparently this is odd, but not impossible). I toughed it out in bed all day thinking it was first bad cramps and then maybe a ruptured ovarian cyst (which I know they do nothing for). When I wasn't better on Friday morning I went to the urgent care and was diagnosed with probable appendicitis with rupture due to rebound pain and sent to the emergency room. A CT scan confirmed the appendicitis but was iffy on the rupture. Laparoscopic surgery was done and successful despite finding a rupture. I spent 5 nights in the hospital then several more days at home largely resting before a week of half days at work. It has been 17 days since the surgery and my abdomen still feels weak and rather strange. But I can handle food fine and most everyday tasks with just a little less stamina.

Comment from: scificandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had stomach bloating and pain all day while shopping with friends. I took Gas-X but that didn't really help. I waited all evening for the gas to go away, it did but then seemed like it got stuck in my lower right side. Finally I went the emergency room after midnight, and after CT scan and blood tests it was confirmed appendicitis. I was scheduled for laparoscopic surgery the next morning. It took 45 minutes, no problems, not perforated, etc. I felt great and never felt any pain after that. It has been a week so far.