Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?

Please select the black square:

What is the recovery time for an appendectomy?

The recovery time for an appendectomy is variable and depends on the type of the procedure, type of anesthesia, and any complications that may have developed. For example, laparoscopic appendectomy may be done on an outpatient basis so that the patient can be discharged to recover at home, while an open method may require an overnight stay or an even longer time to be discharged to go home. Normal activities can resume in a few days but full recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks during which time strenuous activity should be avoided.

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: TdK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 36 years old and in good health, reasonably fit but not a star athlete. I developed a slight abdominal pain some days ago, and what felt like bloating and mild constipation. Assuming it was only something I ate, I took some medicine for cramps. The pain lingered for a few days, sometimes being barely noticeable and rather annoying at other times, with a noticeably reduced appetite. On day 4, I realized that the pain was localized on the right of my stomach, by pressing on it, so I went to see my general physician. He diagnosed it as appendicitis, and arranged for conventional surgery that evening. I went into the theater around 19:00, and remember waking up around 20:30. I stayed in the hospital for the night, and awoke with no pain. I drove myself home the morning after surgery at 10:00, and took it easy for the day. It is now 3 days after the operation, and I have experienced almost no pain. I have a follow-up consultation scheduled with the surgeon in 2 days. I probably have some weeks before I can resume normal physical activities and exercise, and a lot can still happen during this time, but for now this has been an extremely easy and painless experience.

Comment from: c3527, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I am a 67 year old male in good health and reasonably fit and work out at a health club gym 5 to 6 days a week. I developed a dull ache near my navel on Sunday evening, gradually getting worse. By Monday evening, I went to the emergency clinic (after having vomited). I thought I had the 24 hour bug but wanted to be checked out. Blood work was done; white blood cell count was slightly elevated. No x-ray done. I was given some medicines to help with the nausea and discharged. Next morning the pain moved lower and was unbearable. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room. CT scan and x-rays revealed I needed emergency surgery. Appendectomy was performed late afternoon. Laparoscopic incision revealed the infection was much worse. So major surgery was performed. The appendix had gangrene and infection so severe that the area was flushed three times with saline solution (I had a great surgeon) and closed up with 18 stitches. I was in the hospital for eight nights and nine days. I was on IV antibiotics (two kinds, each two hours apart) about a week and tube down my nose to my stomach to drain bile, for a couple of days. I was on a catheter for several days; bowels didn't work for several days. Was extremely weak for about a week. No food for about a week. Discharge to home on day nine and on antibiotic (Augmentin 875 mg 2 times day for 7 days). I was very weak the first week home and was ordered not to do too much but to gradually do a little more each day. Amazingly (after best wishes from many and the loving supportive care of my wonderful wife) in about two weeks home, I had regained most of my strength (but had lost 13 pounds while in the hospital) and the incision was healing well. Now I am on week 5 after surgery and I am back to the gym with my old stamina on the treadmill. I am grateful to be alive as I read how serious my condition was.