Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Please select the white circle:

How is a vasectomy done?

A vasectomy is usually performed in the office of urologist, a doctor who specializes in the male urinary tract and reproductive system. In some cases, the urologist may decide to do a vasectomy in an outpatient surgery center or a hospital. This could be because of patient anxiety or because other procedures will be done at the same time.2

There are two ways to perform a vasectomy. In either case, the patient is awake during the procedure, but the urologist uses a local anesthetic to numb the scrotum.

With the conventional method, the doctor makes one or two small cuts in the scrotum to access the vas deferens. A small section of the vas deferens is cut out and then removed. The urologist may cauterize (seal with heat) the ends and then tie the ends with stitches. The doctor will then perform the same procedure on the other testicle, either through the same opening or through a second scrotal incision. For both testicles, when the vas deferens has been tied off, the doctor will use a few stitches or skin "glue" to close the opening(s) in the scrotum.

With the "no-scalpel" method, a small puncture hole is made on one side of the scrotum. The health care provider will find the vas deferens under the skin and pull it through the hole. The vas deferens is then cut and a small section is removed. The ends are either cauterized or tied off and then put back in place. The procedure is then performed on the other testicle. No stitches are needed with this method because the puncture holes are so small.1,3

After a vasectomy, most men go home the same day and fully recover in less than a week.

Return to Vasectomy

Comment from: Luke, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I had my vasectomy 2 weeks ago and I'm still in pain. The doctor says I have a hematoma which is causing the pain. My testicles hurt and my upper groin area hurts too. The pain is unthinkable at times, I wish I never had this done. They are now going all sorts of colors, hopefully after my course of antibiotics it will be sorted out.

Comment from: Robin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I had my vasectomy done on 12th May (just under two weeks ago). The wound on the right side started showing signs of infection after day 3. The doctor prescribed antibiotics which did not work. The wound got bigger. Picture the back end of a pencil being pushed done on your flesh, about 2 mm deep. That describes the wound"s appearance. The doctor prescribed a second bout of antibiotics yesterday. I've been doing the sea salt baths as well, and using a topical cream. No improvement yet, and this round of antibiotics ends tomorrow. So concerned.