Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

How is a vasectomy done?

A vasectomy is usually performed in the office of urologist, a doctor who specializes in the male urinary tract and reproductive system. In some cases, the urologist may decide to do a vasectomy in an outpatient surgery center or a hospital. This could be because of patient anxiety or because other procedures will be done at the same time.2

There are two ways to perform a vasectomy. In either case, the patient is awake during the procedure, but the urologist uses a local anesthetic to numb the scrotum.

With the conventional method, the doctor makes one or two small cuts in the scrotum to access the vas deferens. A small section of the vas deferens is cut out and then removed. The urologist may cauterize (seal with heat) the ends and then tie the ends with stitches. The doctor will then perform the same procedure on the other testicle, either through the same opening or through a second scrotal incision. For both testicles, when the vas deferens has been tied off, the doctor will use a few stitches or skin "glue" to close the opening(s) in the scrotum.

With the "no-scalpel" method, a small puncture hole is made on one side of the scrotum. The health care provider will find the vas deferens under the skin and pull it through the hole. The vas deferens is then cut and a small section is removed. The ends are either cauterized or tied off and then put back in place. The procedure is then performed on the other testicle. No stitches are needed with this method because the puncture holes are so small.1,3

After a vasectomy, most men go home the same day and fully recover in less than a week.

Return to Vasectomy

Comment from: worried wife, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

Please get all the information available before you go ahead with the vasectomy procedure. I wish my husband never had it done. In August it has almost been a year and he is in constant pain. We think he is suffering from post-vasectomy pain syndrome. And now with our wonderful medical plan we have in Canada we have been waiting for six months to see a urologist. I wish I would have had my tubes tied but my husband opted for this procedure given advice from friends and family that it wasn't a big deal. The figures range from 10 to 30 percent who suffer from this condition, and guess what! There is no cure, and no research. Do not get it done!

Comment from: InControl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I had my vasectomy about a week ago. No scalpel. One hole, and titanium clips on both severed ends. I had pain after surgery, felt good to be in bed (and not moving, as legs knock testicles and the weight of them also hurts). Pain was most intense on day 3, and I could also see some bruising at the top of the scrotum and along the very bottom. I took it easy, used Polysporin and followed the doctor's directions religiously. Every day after the third day, it's gotten better and better in terms of pain and ease of walking. I can't run or exercise yet, but good gentle care and patience seem to be winning this recovery.