Vasectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for vasectomy?

Please select the black square:

How is a vasectomy done?

A vasectomy is usually performed in the office of urologist, a doctor who specializes in the male urinary tract and reproductive system. In some cases, the urologist may decide to do a vasectomy in an outpatient surgery center or a hospital. This could be because of patient anxiety or because other procedures will be done at the same time.2

There are two ways to perform a vasectomy. In either case, the patient is awake during the procedure, but the urologist uses a local anesthetic to numb the scrotum.

With the conventional method, the doctor makes one or two small cuts in the scrotum to access the vas deferens. A small section of the vas deferens is cut out and then removed. The urologist may cauterize (seal with heat) the ends and then tie the ends with stitches. The doctor will then perform the same procedure on the other testicle, either through the same opening or through a second scrotal incision. For both testicles, when the vas deferens has been tied off, the doctor will use a few stitches or skin "glue" to close the opening(s) in the scrotum.

With the "no-scalpel" method, a small puncture hole is made on one side of the scrotum. The health care provider will find the vas deferens under the skin and pull it through the hole. The vas deferens is then cut and a small section is removed. The ends are either cauterized or tied off and then put back in place. The procedure is then performed on the other testicle. No stitches are needed with this method because the puncture holes are so small.1,3

After a vasectomy, most men go home the same day and fully recover in less than a week.

Return to Vasectomy

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a very uneventful vasectomy, it took about 15 minutes, in the doctor's office and took about 3 days for the swelling to go down. This was in 1976 after my third child was born and I knew we didn't want another. I only had one problem, after a couple years I had a reoccurring pain in my lower left side, the doctor said it was an infection in a tube from my testes and an antibiotic cleared it right up.

Comment from: Pete, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Just back from the vasectomy operation, it went well but more anesthetic had to be inserted for the left one as I felt a deep throbbing pain. I've been home now for 4 hours and feeling pain in the left testicle as anesthetic is wearing off. All in all, the procedure is a simple one with little blood and minimal external stitching. Only time will tell on future. Samples to be given at 4 month and 5 month period to ensure sterilization.

Stay Informed!