Ingrown Toenail - Experience

Please describe your experience with ingrown toenails.

What are ingrown toenails?

An ingrown toenail is caused by the pressure from the ingrowth of the nail edge into the skin of the toe. Once the edge of the nail breaks through the skin, it produces inflammation. Initially presenting as a minor discomfort, it may progress into an infection in the adjacent skin (cellulitis) and/or become a reoccurring problem. Ingrown toenails most commonly affect the large (great) toes. An ingrown toenail is medically referred to as onychocryptosis.

Return to Ingrown Toenail

Comment from: myesterday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have suffered with in grown toenails on both sides of the nail in both big toes for years. When necessary, I would dig them out by myself. They always grew back. Finally, they started to grow closer to the base of the nail, making it virtually impossible for me to dig them out. I consulted with a podiatrist and had bilateral matricectomy on both big toes. The shot was the worst part, as was removing the bandage for the first time. One of my toes was so bloodied it looked like it was from a scene in a horror movie. I am recovering as I write this. The pain is subsided and worse in one toe than the other. It is very important to keep it clean, use antibacterial ointment and keep it bandaged. I am looking forward to freedom from these!