Creatinine Blood Level - Experience

Please describe your experience with high or low creatinine blood levels.

Please select the black square:

What is creatinine?

Creatinine is a chemical waste molecule that is generated from muscle metabolism. Creatinine is produced from creatine, a molecule of major importance for energy production in muscles. Approximately 2% of the body's creatine is converted to creatinine every day. Creatinine is transported through the bloodstream to the kidneys. The kidneys filter out most of the creatinine and dispose of it in the urine.

Because the muscle mass in the body is relatively constant from day to day, the creatinine production normally remains essentially unchanged on a daily basis.

Return to Creatinine Blood Test

Comment from: Angelmate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had my left kidney removed many years ago and was told I'd be ok to live with just one kidney. However having had an incontinent bladder for most of my life caused many urinary tract infections (UTIs). I had bladder cancer and I thought that would be it, sadly I was wrong, I had new bladder reconstruction 3 years ago which went very wrong. Then last year I had a Mitrofanoff. All this time I have had chronic UTIs, now my kidney is getting worse and my creatine levels have gone from 110 to 150 and my latest one was 180. I know my function is deteriorating and I am told I am going into CKD (chronic kidney disease) stage 5 or 6, wonder if it will mean dialysis. Personally I hope so because I am frequently anemic and feel some hope.

Comment from: BC, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have CK levels of up to 2000 when resting and even went up to 8000 without doing exercise, experiencing extreme pain in my quadriceps only, the rest of my legs are pain free and fully functional. I have done MRI of my spine and leg muscles, and aortogram looking at arteries. They have done over 1000 blood tests and muscle biopsy and still they have found no diagnosis.