Keratitis - Treatment

What treatments, medications, or therapies did you receive for your keratitis?

What is the treatment for keratitis?

Treatment depends on the cause of the keratitis. Infectious keratitis generally requires antibacterial, antifungal, or antiviral therapy to treat the infection. This treatment can involve prescription eyedrops, pills, or even intravenous therapy. Any corneal or conjunctival foreign body should be removed. Wetting drops may be used if disturbance of the tears is suspected to be the cause of the keratitis. Steroid drops may be prescribed occaisionally to reduce inflammation and limit scarring. This must be done carefully and judiciously, since some infections can be worsened with their use.

Contact-lens wearers are typically advised to discontinue contact-lens wear, whether or not the lenses are related to the cause of the keratitis.

Return to Keratitis

Comment from: Louise1980, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I had keratitis last October which took about a month to get better. Since then my eyes are constantly red and sore. I can't wear my contact lenses or eye make-up. They feel gritty and dry all the time. I went to see the eye specialist again this week and was told my eyes are very unhealthy and has given me a course of medication and asked me to go back to talk about a long term plan.

Comment from: joeavi59, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I have had keratitis for over a month now. I have seen 2 different eye surgeons and have been taking steroid eye drops and antibiotics also but nothing has worked so far. My eye feels like it is on fire and I have a hard time driving because of the sensitivity to light. I am scheduled to see this doctor again on Monday. I hope that they find a solution to this aggravating condition, this keratitis is no joke. I got this after I had brain surgery a month ago. This is worse than the surgery itself.