Keratitis - Risk Factors

If known, what was the cause of your keratitis? Discuss any risk factors that may have predisposed you to it.

Please select the white circle:

What are the risk factors for keratitis?

Major risk factors for the development of keratitis include any break or disruption of the surface layer (epithelium) of the cornea.

The use of contact lenses increases the risk of developing keratitis, especially if hygiene is poor, improper solutions are used to store and clean the lenses, or if contact lenses are worn improperly or in the presence of persistent irritation.

A decrease in the quality or quantity of tears predisposes the eye to the development of keratitis.

Disturbances of immune function through diseases such as AIDS or the use of medications such as corticosteroids or chemotherapy also increase the risk of developing keratitis.

Return to Keratitis

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I don"t know the cause of my keratitis and my doctor couldn"t figure it out. We discussed the possibility that my Hashimoto"s thyroiditis might be causing inflammation in my eyes since 3% of Hashimoto"s patients have related eye problems. (The percentage is much higher for Graves' disease patients, like my son, who gets bulging eyes from his autoimmune disease.) Other risk factors could be my dry eye syndrome, allergic conjunctivitis, and pterygium.