Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a total knee replacement?

A total knee replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased knee joint is replaced with artificial material. The knee is a hinge joint which provides motion at the point where the thigh meets the lower leg. The thighbone (or femur) abuts the large bone of the lower leg (tibia) at the knee joint. During a total knee replacement, the end of the femur bone is removed and replaced with a metal shell. The end of the lower leg bone (tibia) is also removed and replaced with a channeled plastic piece with a metal stem. Depending on the condition of the kneecap portion of the knee joint, a plastic "button" may also be added under the kneecap surface. The artificial components of a total knee replacement are referred to as the prosthesis.

The posterior cruciate ligament is a tissue that normally stabilizes each side of the knee joint so that the lower leg cannot slide backward in relation to the thighbone. In total knee replacement surgery, this ligament is either retained, sacrificed, or substituted by a polyethylene post. Each of these various designs of total knee replacement has its benefits and risks.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: Elsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a total knee replacement (TKR) in March 15. I have been extremely happy with the result. I have great flexion and no pain. Then in August I had TKR on my other knee. This has been a different journey; a lot more pain and nerve pain. The surgeon explained that there had been a lot of soft tissue damage as he removed a number of bone spurs. Physiotherapy has been tough and there has been slow improvement. My flexion is just 100 degrees at 8 weeks. I am having physiotherapy twice a week and I try to get to the pool at least 3 times a week. Walking, once I get going is great; no pain but I still find stairs a challenge. I am hopeful things will improve in time.

Comment from: Mrshonesty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I had total knee replacement 2 months ago and have had a hard recovery. I am a lupus patient so that's probably why. I was starting to feel better and less pain but leg was swollen including knee and ankle. Today I decided to do a little housework and I had a sharp tearing like weird pain that only lasted a short time and I looked down at knee and it started blowing up like a balloon. I called the doctor and they gave me appointment for Monday and told me to elevate and keep ice on it. I can't walk without my crutches now. I can't put weight on it.