Total Knee Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Knee Replacement experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is a total knee replacement?

A total knee replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased knee joint is replaced with artificial material. The knee is a hinge joint which provides motion at the point where the thigh meets the lower leg. The thighbone (or femur) abuts the large bone of the lower leg (tibia) at the knee joint. During a total knee replacement, the end of the femur bone is removed and replaced with a metal shell. The end of the lower leg bone (tibia) is also removed and replaced with a channeled plastic piece with a metal stem. Depending on the condition of the kneecap portion of the knee joint, a plastic "button" may also be added under the kneecap surface. The artificial components of a total knee replacement are referred to as the prosthesis.

The posterior cruciate ligament is a tissue that normally stabilizes each side of the knee joint so that the lower leg cannot slide backward in relation to the thighbone. In total knee replacement surgery, this ligament is either retained, sacrificed, or substituted by a polyethylene post. Each of these various designs of total knee replacement has its benefits and risks.

Return to Total Knee Replacement

Comment from: CC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a total knee replacement on 12/28/2016 and kind of find myself discouraged in myself. My knee is very stiff and I can only bend 108 degree. I do physical therapy 2 times a week and do it at home 2 times a day. I hope this is normal and I will get better. I still have sharp pain and aching pain and hope that is normal too. I do not regret having it done, it is a different kind of pain I am having now (more like a hurt) where before it was a burning and aching pain.

Comment from: Huddad, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had total knee replacement 1/14/16 and have been religious about my in-home therapy, and my range of motion is very good although my knee straightness is 5 percent off. I can walk fine and can see daily improvement, but I am taking Oxycontin 2 pills every 4 hours and if I don't stay right on the 4 hour schedule the pain mounts very quickly. I have noticed that doing the exercises greatly reduces the pain so I am constantly doing something to keep my knee limber.