Retinitis Pigmentosa - Complications

Please discuss the complications associated with retinitis pigmentosa.

What are complications of retinitis pigmentosa?

Cataracts occur at a higher incidence in RP patients. If the cataracts are significant, cataract removal can be performed surgically. When cataracts occur, patients respond well to cataract removal with implantation of an intraocular lens. However, this does not improve retinal function.

The ultimate complication of RP is blindness from loss of retinal function.

Return to Retinitis Pigmentosa

Comment from: tashia, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 14

My husband has had retinitis pigmentosa since childhood. Now he is 35 years old and has lost 95% of his eyesight. Now we know that our son also has this serious disease. We are just speechless and helpless.

Comment from: Soliel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa (RP) 10/12. When driving I have to look so many times before pulling out into traffic because I have pulled out and a vehicle barely got by, but I know I looked and saw nothing. Sometimes I will lay something down, but can"t find it. When I step back, it is lying right in front of me. I can"t see anyone walking next to me unless I turn in their direction. I hate shopping most times now, too many people to watch out for. There"s so much more...