Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

Please select the black square:

What is a total hip replacement?

A total hip replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased cartilage and bone of the hip joint is surgically replaced with artificial materials. The normal hip joint is a ball and socket joint. The socket is a "cup-shaped" bone of the pelvis called the acetabulum. The ball is the head of the thighbone (femur). Total hip joint replacement involves surgical removal of the diseased ball and socket and replacing them with a metal (or ceramic) ball and stem inserted into the femur bone and an artificial plastic (or ceramic) cup socket. The metallic artificial ball and stem are referred to as the "prosthesis." Upon inserting the prosthesis into the central core of the femur, it is fixed with a bony cement called methylmethacrylate. Alternatively, a "cementless" prosthesis is used that has microscopic pores which allow bony ingrowth from the normal femur into the prosthesis stem. This "cementless" hip is felt to have a longer duration and is considered especially for younger patients.

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: dinky111, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I had total hip replacement in November. I have had severe pain in hip/groin area when I move a certain way. The doctor took x-ray and says all looks perfect. He does not know why I am having pain. I had a shot in the area 2 weeks ago and no change. It doesn"t hurt to walk, just when I move my leg a certain way. I can"t live like this and don"t know what to do next!

Comment from: krashen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I had my total hip replacement (THR) last January and I am happy to return to my work again. I had THR because of femoral neck fracture. At first I hesitated to have the operation because I was young but now I am enjoying normal activity after 1 year of walking with aid. THR is one of the most successful operations, just choose the best doctor in your place and ask for the best material that lasts.