Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

What is a total hip replacement?

A total hip replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased cartilage and bone of the hip joint is surgically replaced with artificial materials. The normal hip joint is a ball and socket joint. The socket is a "cup-shaped" component of the pelvis called the acetabulum. The ball is the head of the thighbone (femur). Total hip joint replacement involves surgical removal of the diseased ball and socket and replacing them with a metal (or ceramic) ball and stem inserted into the femur bone and an artificial plastic (or ceramic) cup socket. The metallic artificial ball and stem are referred to as the "femoral prosthesis" and the plastic cup socket is the "acetabular prosthesis." Upon inserting the prosthesis into the central core of the femur, it is fixed with a bony cement called methylmethacrylate. Alternatively, a "cementless" prosthesis is used that has microscopic pores which allow bony ingrowth from the normal femur into the prosthesis stem. This "cementless" hip is felt to have a longer duration and is considered especially for younger patients. Total hip replacement is also referred to as total hip arthroplasty.

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: SLynne1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a total hip replacement last Tuesday and was home on Wednesday. I have been using a walker to get around the house. My pain level is a little worse today and I have no idea of how I 'should' feel. I am on painkillers every 5 hours and have been going up and down the stairs and doing my exercises. I wonder if I am doing too much.

Comment from: artmom57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I had total hip replacement on June 1, 2015. I had spinal anesthesia, no catheter, no drain, no staples, and no visible sutures. I was out of bed a couple of hours after surgery. I had the anterior approach. My surgery was on Monday and I went home Wednesday. I felt great from the moment I woke up in the operation room. I had physiotherapy the day after surgery to learn stairs and getting into the car. I used the walker for a few days and went to the cane one week post-operation. I did not need to take prescription pain medications and resumed driving at two weeks. I rode a bike at three weeks and went for a 12 mile ride at four weeks. I could go on and on as I increased my activity level. I continue to feel great and have had the best sleep in more than five years. I was scared going into this but I am thrilled with the results.