Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Please select the black square:

What is a total hip replacement?

A total hip replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased cartilage and bone of the hip joint is surgically replaced with artificial materials. The normal hip joint is a ball and socket joint. The socket is a "cup-shaped" component of the pelvis called the acetabulum. The ball is the head of the thighbone (femur). Total hip joint replacement involves surgical removal of the diseased ball and socket and replacing them with a metal (or ceramic) ball and stem inserted into the femur bone and an artificial plastic (or ceramic) cup socket. The metallic artificial ball and stem are referred to as the "femoral prosthesis" and the plastic cup socket is the "acetabular prosthesis." Upon inserting the prosthesis into the central core of the femur, it is fixed with a bony cement called methylmethacrylate. Alternatively, a "cementless" prosthesis is used that has microscopic pores which allow bony ingrowth from the normal femur into the prosthesis stem. This "cementless" hip is felt to have a longer duration and is considered especially for younger patients. Total hip replacement is also referred to as total hip arthroplasty.

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: Dale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I had direct approach total hip replacement on 5/3/16. Everything went great and I was up walking that day. After 2 days in the joint center I was discharged home. I had in-home therapy which wasn't bad. Today I went back for my 6 weeks checkup and the doctor discharged me, and said I may be only 6 weeks post operation but I was at the 3 month level. I now can drive and only use the cane for safety on long walks. I was also released from therapy. I know if I had my surgery the old cut down the back of leg way I would not be this far ahead. If you are told you need hip replacement, ask about the anterior direct approach.

Comment from: Forelli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

My left hip was replaced exactly 2 years ago, in 2014. I did a lot of pre-habilitation at the gym to strengthen glute muscles. After the surgery I had very little pain. In 1 week I went back to the gym. In 4 months I went back to Middle Eastern dance classes. In 1 year I was able to perform on stage again and begin teaching dance again. After a while you don't even remember you have a new hip; for example I was going into a courthouse and neither I nor security could figure out why the beepers kept going off. After a few minutes my friend said 'oh yeah, it's your hip!'