Total Hip Replacement - Experience

Please describe your Total Hip Replacement experience.

What is a total hip replacement?

A total hip replacement is a surgical procedure whereby the diseased cartilage and bone of the hip joint is surgically replaced with artificial materials. The normal hip joint is a ball and socket joint. The socket is a "cup-shaped" bone of the pelvis called the acetabulum. The ball is the head of the thighbone (femur). Total hip joint replacement involves surgical removal of the diseased ball and socket and replacing them with a metal (or ceramic) ball and stem inserted into the femur bone and an artificial plastic (or ceramic) cup socket. The metallic artificial ball and stem are referred to as the "prosthesis." Upon inserting the prosthesis into the central core of the femur, it is fixed with a bony cement called methylmethacrylate. Alternatively, a "cementless" prosthesis is used that has microscopic pores which allow bony ingrowth from the normal femur into the prosthesis stem. This "cementless" hip is felt to have a longer duration and is considered especially for younger patients.

Return to Total Hip Replacement

Comment from: Trey C., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I"m a 38 year old male. I had a total right hip replacement 2 weeks ago. The pain started for me a year ago. I was very serious and heavy into the gym. I was going pretty heavy on legs. What I thought was a pulled groin, turned out to be the ball part of the hip socket crumbling. It got to a point where I could hardly walk. I saw a specialist for the 3rd time. X-ray showed the damage, very nasty X-ray. I had the surgery 3 weeks after. I started walking with a walker the very next day. I"m two weeks out now and am very concerned with the swelling I still have. It seems the new hip sits out further than my original one. When looking in the mirror, it just looks abnormal from my left one. I know I still have some more healing to do.

Comment from: Anne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total hip replacement (THR) almost 5 years ago and it has been perfect. I spent 5 nights in hospital, my rehabilitation was walking with crutches and after a month using the hydrotherapy pool in town. I am about to have my second hip replaced, am so sick of the pain and unable to do the things I used to do.

Stay Informed!