Torn ACL - Recovery

What was the recovery process like after you tore your ACL? Did you have physical therapy?

How long does it take to recover from a torn ACL?

Rehabilitation and return to normal function after surgical repair of an ACL tear can take six to nine months. There needs to be a balance between trying to do too much work in physical therapy returning strength and range of motion and doing too little. Being too aggressive can damage the surgical repair and cause the ligament to fail again. Too little work lengthens the time to return to normal activities.

Return to Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear)

Comment from: tohllyd, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I tore my ACL (left knee) in January 2013, I did surgery in august 2013, and I started physiotherapy 2 weeks after my surgery. My torn ACL was replaced with hamstring craft, I started walking slowly with knee support 48 hours after the operation. Though my first contact with the floor was so painful I was asked to move around with the help of two nurses. Then 72 hours later I had another try which was better than the first one and I was discharged from the hospital that same day. When I joined physiotherapy I started static cycling, hamstring raises while lying down on the flat floor, etc. Four weeks later I started calf raises, knee press, squats, toe walk, heel walk, cycling, hamstring raise with 1/2 kg weight, leg extension, etc. and I also joined a local swimming pool for hydrotherapy. Now it's December, I still feel some pain in my knee but I feel stronger every week and I have also started jogging.