Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

What is a hysterectomy?

A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure whereby the uterus (womb) is removed. This surgery for women is the most common non-obstetrical procedure in the United States.

Return to Hysterectomy

Comment from: debtravels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 2 weeks post-surgery. I had full radical robotic assisted hysterectomy. I had surgery a month prior to remove fibroid tumors and the pathology revealed uterine cancer, stage 1. Hysterectomy seemed to go fine, I came home the same night. Felt ill the next day and figured it was just post-surgery effects. Day 3 I felt worse, abdominal cramping and couldn't keep even a sip of water down. I returned to the hospital emergency room and was admitted for bowel obstruction and a hernia that developed in small intestines. I waited till day 5 and then they did surgery for both issues. I was released day 6 in the evening but had a terrible bacterial infection. I am beginning to feel normal but I have a couple of symptoms that I haven't seen anyone else write about. I have crazy itching around my vaginal area and a bit of dripping of urine, and I can't really control it.

Comment from: AJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

I had a total hysterectomy at age 27. I had endometriosis, multiple cyst on both ovaries, and malignant cells in my uterus. I wasn't put on any type of hormone therapy, which has caused me plenty of issues with my bones and my joints. It is too late I am told to reverse the damage done due to this surgery. I am on Reclast, vitamin D and vitamin shots every month.