Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Please select the black triangle:

What is a hysterectomy?

A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure whereby the uterus (womb) is removed. This surgery for women is the most common non-obstetrical procedure in the United States.

Return to Hysterectomy

Comment from: PainfreeinColorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 2 weeks to the day post laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy. I had everything except for both ovaries removed. I was suffering from severe pain (labor like) during my periods due to fibroid tumors. My uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy. I am in the healthcare field so I did lots of research as to what the other options were. The surgeon and hospital wanted the surgery performed. My surgeon told me that my uterus was covered with fibroid tumors inside and out with also a little endometriosis. I feel great! My incisions scarred over about 5 days post operation looking more like scratches than incisions. I wanted to move as soon as my surgeon allowed me to. I was up and walking about 20 hours after surgery. Keeping hydrated has been key to my speedy recovery and digestive health. I suffered from trapped gas pains for about 2 or 3 days post operation but once I started walking, it helped move my bowels. I have no pain, just a little tenderness where the uterus was removed. I am looking forward to no longer having periods and the pain I experienced prior to my hysterectomy.

Comment from: Cape Breton Chickie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had my hysterectomy a week ago today, on 16-02-04. It was through my stomach due to a large fibroid (8 cm) and I have not had any children. I stood up the first night and as with many, it was not pretty. I am experiencing lots of gas and pressure in my intestines (I can feel the product passing through). I stopped taking extra strength Tylenol three days ago. There is hardly any pain and my incision is healing well. My stomach and lower areas look like a gothic bag of skittles and have more color than 'Starry Night'. My stitches are all internal and now have a hollow sound on one side when I tap my stomach. My doctor stated that I may have bled a bit and there will be some left over serum that may need to be removed later. I have several times felt like a straw was put in my head and my energy sucked out, but I can urinate better now. Sorry for being graphic, but that one small thing is amazing. Good luck ladies!