Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Please select the black square:

What is a hysterectomy?

A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure whereby the uterus (womb) is removed. This surgery for women is the most common non-obstetrical procedure in the United States.

Return to Hysterectomy

Comment from: Blackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 2 weeks to the day post vaginal hysterectomy, everything removed except ovaries, with anterior and posterior repairs. With the exception of soreness at the site and back ache (I'm a caregiver so this is ongoing), I'm actually doing pretty good. A few Advil only when needed. Diet has played an important part in my healing (vitamin supplements, high fiber, a lot less meat, lots of vegetables, no junk and lots of water). I'm glad I prepared prior and have kept up since. I was very physically active before so I currently modified my exercise routine with lots of walking. It seems to really be helping. I truly feel diet is essential on the road to recovery.

Comment from: RM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told in December that I had a fibroid the size of a bowling ball and needed to have a hysterectomy and that I could wait until August to have it done. I went to my gynecologist to arrange the surgery. The doctor performed a pelvic exam and found my cervix was totally closed and scheduled me for a hysteroscopy, D and C, biopsy of the cervix and biopsy of the endometrium. The doctor told me that he did this routinely to make sure he wasn't getting into something unexpected and would like to take a look around. When I came out of recovery I was told that I was being held for 23 hour observation and that my doctor had ordered an oncology consult. I didn't sleep for the next 24 hours. It totally scared me to death. The oncologist finally came to see me to let me know that I had a cyst on my ovary along with the fibroids we knew were already there. I was given the option at that time to have a hysterectomy the following day since I was already in the hospital. Everything went well with the hysterectomy and the oncologist was a great help with the decision for the radical abdominal hysterectomy. I am now on week 3 of recovery and I am feeling a little better every day. I get tired easily and hardly have any pain in my abdomen. At this point I think the sutures in my vagina are healing. My abdomen is numb on the outside and I will not be able to drive for another 4 weeks.