Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

What is coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery?

According to the American Heart Association, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries are among the most commonly performed major operations. CABG surgery is advised for selected groups of patients with significant narrowings and blockages of the heart arteries (coronary artery disease). CABG surgery creates new routes around narrowed and blocked arteries, allowing sufficient blood flow to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle.

Return to Coronary Artery Bypass Graft

Comment from: bladerunner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I had been experiencing tightness in my throat and pressure in my chest for several months during exercise. Cardiac artery disease runs in my family. I had been taking statins and seeing a physician every 6 months for 10 years. At my next appointment my doctor sent me for a stress test which I failed badly. I went for catheterization, where I hoped to have a stent or two inserted. I had two blockages: one 90% and the other 100%. I had CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) surgery the following day. Much like everyone else, I felt like I had been run over by truck. I was one day in ICU, 4 days in the hospital. Started walking 2 days after surgery. I started cardio rehab 5 weeks later for 12 weeks 3 times a week and felt better each day. Chest is still a little sore and sensitive to cold after 4 1/2 months. I haven't felt this good in about 4 or 5 years. Cardio rehab was the best and is must do. It only works if you do the work. Many thanks to my family and friends, I had great support group.

Comment from: steve m, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had progressive symptoms for three months. It started when on treadmill and it was a tightness in my throat. I used to have asthma so I thought it was that. I slowed down a bit and it went away. Then I finished running and exercising. It was on going. Then it happened a few times when I was having relations with my girlfriend. It got worse the last time and I had to leave the room and sit and let it pass. Then I had it after walking ten minutes and even brushing my teeth. By then I was having the jaw and wrist pains as well. Stress test was strongly positive within minutes. I was unstentable, blockages too long. I bit the bullet and went right in for coronary artery bypass graft. I am 54 years old and always healthy.

Stay Informed!