Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Please select the black square:

What is coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery?

According to the American Heart Association, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries are among the most commonly performed major operations. CABG surgery is advised for selected groups of patients with significant narrowings and blockages of the heart arteries (coronary artery disease). CABG surgery creates new routes around narrowed and blocked arteries, allowing sufficient blood flow to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle.

Return to Coronary Artery Bypass Graft

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had my 1st heart attack at age 43 (1988). I had innumerable angioplasties, emergency room (ER) trips, and stents. I had 4 way coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) at age 54 (1999) at a world famous hospital. It solved heart problems for years, but caused cognitive impairment so bad I had to go on Social Security Disability. My brain gradually rewired itself over a ten-year period. After 15 years (2014), grafts and veins began to disintegrate. Another heart attack, trips to ER, and 8 stents. I'm scheduled for CABG redo next week (January 2016). Hope my brain can take it.

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 59 year old female and had a heart attack 9 months ago. I had a triple bypass 2 weeks later and left the hospital 4 days after surgery. I had no prior symptoms and my cholesterol was within normal parameters. I was not on any medications other than a pill for a stomach ulcer. I've been told my recovery has been normal but I still am extremely sensitive on my incision area and some days it's really bothersome. Crazy after all this time. I even still get stabbing pain in my leg where they took a graft. I also experienced some form of depression for the first few weeks although nothing I was medicated for. I think it was based out of betrayal of what I felt my body 'did' to me and fear of what I went through and what can happen again. I still feel fear of something recurring when previous to the event, I always believed I would live a long and reasonably healthy life; now I am just not that confident. This has been a long process and I only hope that one day I may feel my normal self again; or perhaps this is my new normal from here on in.