Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

What is coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery?

According to the American Heart Association, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries are among the most commonly performed major operations. CABG surgery is advised for selected groups of patients with significant narrowings and blockages of the heart arteries (coronary artery disease). CABG surgery creates new routes around narrowed and blocked arteries, allowing sufficient blood flow to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle.

Return to Coronary Artery Bypass Graft

Comment from: Coolbreeze, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had the coronary artery bypass graft surgery ten years ago in 2005. I was found to need it after having an EKG test pre-surgery for a herniated navel. I was told I had had a heart attack but I never felt a thing. Silent ischemia I am told. Surgery went well, I was home in five days and back to work in six weeks. By the way, it was a double bypass using the mammary artery. I have had no problems since then.

Comment from: Jim, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I have been unable to walk without a cane or walker since my triple coronary artery bypass graft 2 years ago. I have had physiotherapy and acupuncture during that time with little change. I walked into that hospital but was not able to walk out on my own. Any similar experiences, I would love to hear. I'm an 82 year old male in good health otherwise.