Coronary Artery Bypass Graft - Experience

Please describe your experience with coronary artery bypass graft.

Please select the black triangle:

What is coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery?

According to the American Heart Association, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries are among the most commonly performed major operations. CABG surgery is advised for selected groups of patients with significant narrowings and blockages of the heart arteries (coronary artery disease). CABG surgery creates new routes around narrowed and blocked arteries, allowing sufficient blood flow to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the heart muscle.

Return to Coronary Artery Bypass Graft

Comment from: Bien, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

My coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) was in 2004, I had quadruple bypass and I have one that failed and rerouted by itself. My arteries where removed from my right arm. I've been in the hospital 3 times because of me thinking a heart attack was imminent and had angioplasty each time and was given a clean bill of health. Fear plays a huge part in any healing. I have shooting sting pains in my left side by my shoulder to the breast. I added nitro to my other meds that include metoprolol, Norvasc, lisinopril, and simvastatin, plus aspirin. I work but am wondering how much stress I can take. Sleeping pills and anxiety drugs only hurt but might work short time. Good Luck.

Comment from: Kimba, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I had 5 bypasses in July 2014. I was 10 hours on the table due to graft failing but survived. I was doing great for 5 months (till December) and it now appears that one of the grafts has failed again. I have shortness of breath without too much effort but I still try to walk 60 minutes every day, just at a slower pace. Cardiologist says to wait for a few months and see what happens, they may be able to stent it but the failed graft is where it is connected to the heart, so not good, hoping that it will repair itself. I am not sure that I trust the cardiologist much, he doesn't say much unless you push for information. I am getting a second opinion in April.