Plant Thorn Arthritis - Types of Plants

If known, what is the name or type of plant that caused your plant thorn arthritis?

What plants cause plant thorn arthritis?

The plants that commonly cause plant thorn arthritis are those that produce thorns. These plants include palm trees, roses, black-thorn shrubs, cacti, bougainvillea, yucca, pyracantha, plum trees, and mesquite trees.

Return to Plant Thorn Synovitis

Comment from: Jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I ended up getting a black thorn in my middle finger, next to the middle knuckle during a recent dirt bike ride. It was shallow and I had little pain, I pulled it out easily and went on my way. Next day that knuckle was swollen and aching. Two days later swelling went down and no more issues with that knuckle. Now six days later my ring finger knuckle where the finger connects to the hand is aching and my elbow is aching as well. I have no swelling. There is no black dot at the puncture sight. I am very surprised what one of those thorns can do.

Comment from: Sugar64, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Yesterday I got pricked by Bougainvillea thorns numerous times while putting out a few wheelbarrow loads of cuttings out for the trash. One I hadn"t even noticed went through my glove and in the side of middle finger at the middle joint. Today it is swollen and stiff!