Plant Thorn Arthritis - Types of Plants

If known, what is the name or type of plant that caused your plant thorn arthritis?

What plants cause plant thorn arthritis?

The plants that commonly cause plant thorn arthritis are those that produce thorns. These plants include palm trees, roses, black-thorn shrubs, cacti, bougainvillea, yucca, pyracantha, plum trees, and mesquite trees. Exposure to these plants is the greatest risk factor for plant thorn arthritis.

Return to Plant Thorn Synovitis

Comment from: F Carter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I was stuck with a palm frond while assisting a coworker who was trimming the palm branches. A branch with a 10 inch thorn fell down unexpectedly and the thorn pierced my right middle finger. A week later I went to the emergency room (ER) and was mistakenly diagnosed with a bacterial infection. I had an incision and drain procedure. I am extremely disappointed that the doctors didn't even google this diagnosis. I googled it before I went in, but unfortunately, I saw another website that was less informative, and ended up with my hand mauled by these guys.

Comment from: shnon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Cholla caused my plant thorn arthritis, twice now with a delayed reaction, and then the swelling/arthritic pain lasts a very long time.