Thyroid Blood Tests Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Please select the black triangle:

How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?

A diagnosis of hypothyroidism can be suspected in patients with fatigue, cold intolerance, constipation, and dry, flaky skin. A blood test is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

When hypothyroidism is present, the blood levels of thyroid hormones can be measured directly and are usually decreased. However, in early hypothyroidism, the level of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) may be normal. Therefore, the main tool for the detection of hyperthyroidism is the measurement of the TSH, the thyroid stimulating hormone. As mentioned earlier, TSH is secreted by the pituitary gland. If a decrease of thyroid hormone occurs, the pituitary gland reacts by producing more TSH and the blood TSH level increases in an attempt to encourage thyroid hormone production. This increase in TSH can actually precede the fall in thyroid hormones by months or years (see the section on Subclinical Hypothyroidism below). Thus, the measurement of TSH should be elevated in cases of hypothyroidism. However, there is one exception. If the decrease in thyroid hormone is actually due to a defect of the pituitary or hypothalamus, then the levels of TSH are abnormally low. As noted above, this kind of thyroid disease is known as "secondary" or "tertiary" hypothyroidism. A special test, known as the TRH test, can help distinguish if the disease is caused by a defect in the pituitary or the hypothalamus. This test requires an injection of the TRH hormone and is performed by an endocrinologist (hormone specialist).

Return to Thyroid Blood Tests

Comment from: chante86442, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am confused about my hypothyroidism, my TSH level is 6.370 and my doctor says that my thyroid level is normal. Meanwhile, my hair doesn't grow, and I am in a lot of pain, and I get hot all the time, even when everyone else is cold. I am a 44 year old female.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My blood tests have been in normal ranges but I have multiple symptoms of hypothyroidism like chronic constipation, chronic cold intolerance that is getting worse, very dry skin, chronic pain from tendonitis, bursitis and now fibromyalgia, insomnia, depression and can gain weight very easily.