Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis

How was your hypothyroidism diagnosed?

Please select the black square:

How is hypothyroidism diagnosed?

A diagnosis of hypothyroidism can be suspected in patients with fatigue, cold intolerance, constipation, and dry, flaky skin. A blood test is needed to confirm the diagnosis.

When hypothyroidism is present, the blood levels of thyroid hormones can be measured directly and are usually decreased. However, in early hypothyroidism, the level of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) may be normal. Therefore, the main tool for the detection of hyperthyroidism is the measurement of the TSH, the thyroid stimulating hormone. As mentioned earlier, TSH is secreted by the pituitary gland. If a decrease of thyroid hormone occurs, the pituitary gland reacts by producing more TSH and the blood TSH level increases in an attempt to encourage thyroid hormone production. This increase in TSH can actually precede the fall in thyroid hormones by months or years (see the section on Subclinical Hypothyroidism below). Thus, the measurement of TSH should be elevated in cases of hypothyroidism. However, there is one exception. If the decrease in thyroid hormone is actually due to a defect of the pituitary or hypothalamus, then the levels of TSH are abnormally low. As noted above, this kind of thyroid disease is known as "secondary" or "tertiary" hypothyroidism. A special test, known as the TRH test, can help distinguish if the disease is caused by a defect in the pituitary or the hypothalamus. This test requires an injection of the TRH hormone and is performed by an endocrinologist (hormone specialist).

Return to Thyroid Blood Tests

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I don't know what is wrong-my doctor says that all of my blood work is in the "high normal" ranges. I am a 50 year old female. Up until 6 months ago I would have described myself as normal, healthy very active professional. Since December I have lost 50 lbs, have very frequent periods (two or three times an hour) where I sweat profusely, cannot sleep, yet am constantly exhausted, easily agitated, short temper, difficulty concentrating, cannot remember anything (walk out of the room and forget what I went to get and I get lost on my way to the store) cannot complete a task, I am in constant pain, my muscles ache, and my joints are throbbing. My menstrual periods suddenly stopped in January. Yet my doctor says he can find no reason for any of my symptoms, and thinks it is all due to emotional things, although there have been no drastic changes in my life to cause any upheaval.

Comment from: Jenny in Arizona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 38 and a mother of three. Just recently, I was scared by odd chest sensations that turned out to be heart palpitations brought on by thyroid problems. My other symptoms were: hot feelings on my face, sweating, dizziness after the palpitations, inability to concentrate on a task and tenderness in my muscles and tingling limbs. My first blood test showed an underactive thyroid. After taking .025 mcg for 30 days, my blood tests still came back that I needed a dosage increase. So now I just started taking .05 mcg. My symptoms have decreased some. The heart palpitations are down to about three a day and only happen when I am busy doing activities. I still get dizzy, mostly in the mornings. (And mom if you are reading this: No, I am not pregnant, haha.) I am feeling so much better than I did one month ago, and I am looking forward to feeling even better as they regulate my thyroid levels. I hope this will help someone. If I am to have any health issues, this is the one I would choose because I already feel so much better, and I am still not where they want me to be.

Stay Informed!