Osteopenia - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your osteopenia.

Please select the white circle:

What are osteopenia symptoms and signs?

Osteopenia does not cause pain unless a bone is broken (fractured). Interestingly, fractures in patients with osteopenia do not always cause pain. Osteopenia or osteoporosis can be present for many years prior to diagnosis for these reasons. Many bone fractures due to osteopenia or osteoporosis, such as a hip fracture or vertebral fracture (fracture of a bone in the spine), are very painful. However, some fractures, especially vertebral fractures (fractures of the bony building blocks of the spine), can be painless and therefore osteopenia or osteoporosis may go undiagnosed for years.

Return to Osteopenia

Comment from: Lola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I had bone pain all over my body. I just learned that a second tooth in which I'd had a root canal split right in half all the way down through the root. The first tooth split right at the gum line. I wonder whether this is related to osteopenia.

Comment from: Loi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I find it amazing that they say there is no bone pain with osteopenia. That is the reason I went to the doctor, as I am having pain almost all of the time. When you go to lift something, it feels like you are picking up hundreds of pounds instead of the water pitcher. I cannot sit very long as my numbers have decreased in both hips and in my lower spine. I will be going to a specialist in osteoporosis as I am not able to take any oral medicines due to a gastric and liver problem.

Stay Informed!