Osteopenia - Causes

If known, what is the cause of your osteopenia?

What causes osteopenia?

Osteopenia has multiple causes. Common causes and risk factors include

• genetics (familial predisposition to osteopenia or osteoporosis, a family history of early bone loss, and other genetic disorders);
  • hormonal causes, including decreased estrogen (such as in women after menopause) or testosterone;
  • smoking;
  • excess alcohol;
  • thin frame;
  • immobility;
  • certain medications (such as corticosteroids, including prednisone) and antiseizure medications;
  • malabsorption due to conditions (such as celiac sprue);
  • and chronic inflammation due to medical conditions (such as rheumatoid arthritis).
Return to Osteopenia

Comment from: bj, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 12

My bone scan over 10 years ago was good. This recent scan was made because I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism disease. This condition takes calcium out of your bones. Your calcium blood count is normal at 9 and anything above indicates the disease, which can only be cured by surgical removal of one or more of the glands that have tumors. My bone scan indicated some osteopenia.

Comment from: Snowlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I was on Depo-Provera (a quarterly birth control shot) for over 5 years. My doctor told me Depo-Provera would zap my bones but I never knew how badly. Plus, he never mentioned that one shouldn't be on Depo-Provera for more than a few years. It wasn't until my hips started hurting when I sit for long periods and they would 'pop' like cracking knuckles that I thought there must be something wrong. My regular doctor thought it might be arthritis. A second doctor thought otherwise and sent me for a bone scan. Boy, was I shocked! Osteopenia, or borderline osteoporosis.