Parry-Romberg Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Please describe the signs and symptoms of Parry-Romberg syndrome in someone you know.

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of Parry-Romberg syndrome?

Initial facial changes usually involve the tissues above the upper jaw (maxilla) or between the nose and the upper corner of the lip (nasolabial fold) and subsequently progress to the angle of the mouth, areas around the eye, the brow, the ear, and the neck. The deterioration may also affect the tongue, the soft and fleshy part of the roof of the mouth, and the gums. The eye and cheek of the affected side may become sunken and facial hair may turn white and fall out (alopecia). In addition, the skin overlying affected areas may become darkly pigmented (hyperpigmentation) with, in some cases, areas of hyperpigmentation and patches of unpigmented skin (vitiligo). Parry-Romberg syndrome is also accompanied by neurological abnormalities including seizures and episodes of severe facial pain (trigeminal neuralgia).

Return to Parry-Romberg Syndrome

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My symptoms started at 5 years old. I am 60 years old. I am still having problems with Parry-Romberg syndrome. On the left side of my face the tissue is getting softer. I have a bad indentation from hitting a door facing. On my right forehead, I have a dark indentation from scalp to my eyebrow. I have a large bald indentation on my scalp. I have a continuous indentation from the big bald area around the top of the scalp to right side forehead indentation. I suffer a lot of pain. I have migraines and serious problems with neuropathy. I have bad problems with digestives systems.