Duodenal Diverticulum - Treatment

What was the treatment for your duodenal diverticulum?

How is a duodenal diverticulum treated?

If treatment is necessary, extramural diverticula can be surgically removed from the outside of the duodenum. The diverticula also may be inverted into the lumen of the duodenum and removed through an incision in the wall of the duodenum. (Sometimes, the diverticulum is inverted but left attached to the wall of the duodenum and protruding into the duodenum.)

Return to Duodenal Diverticulum

Comment from: SUE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had severe sharp piercing pain in left lower quadrant going into my groin. I couldn't sleep at night, the pain was very severe. It hurt when I laid down. Pain increased when I stood and at times when sitting. I was beside myself with this pain. I had been to the family doctor 4 days prior to going to hospital with diagnosis of urinary tract infection. Severe left sided pain could be possible kidney stones. I was placed on Cipro antibiotic and told if pain gets worse to go to emergency at hospital. I went to a local emergency room today as I was beside myself with the severe sharp piercing pain for four and a half days. I was asked for urine sample, and blood work was taken. After being examined by the doctor and I explained my pain, a CAT scan was ordered. Scan showed I had diverticulitis with inflamed pouches, and in the diverticulum also pouches were inflamed. Doctor explained this diagnosis with me then prescribed the following medication: ciprofloxacin 500 mg BID along with metronidazole 500 mg TID for 7 days. I was given Tylenol 2, 1 tablet q4 hours for pain.