Choledochal Cysts - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your choledochal cysts?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms and complications of choledochal cysts?

In infants, choledochal cysts usually lead to obstruction of the bile ducts and retention of bile. This leads to jaundice and an enlarged liver. If the obstruction is not relieved, permanent damage may occur to the liver - scarring and cirrhosis - with the signs of portal hypertension (obstruction to the flow of blood through the liver) and ascites (fluid accumulation in the abdomen). There is an increased risk of cancer in the wall of the cyst.

In older individuals, choledochal cysts are more likely to cause abdominal pain and intermittent episodes of jaundice and occasionally cholangitis (inflammation within the bile ducts caused by the spread of bacteria from the intestine into the bile ducts). Pancreatitis also may occur. The cause of these complications may be related to either abnormal flow of bile within the ducts or the presence of gallstones.

Return to Choledochal Cysts

Comment from: piqqla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I hade a choledochal cyst when i was born and the doctors found it when I was 9 years old. I had been sick for hole my life (until 9 years ago) illness, vomiting, icterus, itching (from icterus) weight loss, and PAIN! I had an operation in Sweden and it was successful, I am lucky to be alive. I live a normal life today (43 year) and have two children (16, 20years), I find out that I have an angiomyolipoma in my kidney I don't think they are related but how knows?! It's a very rare kidney problem and the same thing with the choledochal cyst. If someone has the same problem please write something :-)