Choledochal Cysts - Experience

Please describe your experience with choledochal cyst.

What is a choledochal cyst?

Bile that is produced in the liver flows through increasingly larger channels (ducts) within the liver and finally into even larger ducts that leave the liver, pass through the substance of the pancreas, and then empty into the duodenum.

A choledochal cyst is a cyst (hollow outpouching) of the bile ducts. Choledochal cysts have been classified into several different types depending on where they are located and whether they can be seen as separate structures from the ducts (diverticulum-like); or whether they can be seen as a localized dilation (enlargement) of the ducts. Choledochal cysts are rare, occurring in less than 1% of individuals. The cause of choledochal cysts is unknown, but they are congenital, that is, present from birth, and, therefore, represent developmental abnormalities of the bile ducts in the fetus.

Return to Choledochal Cysts

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I was told that I have a cyst on my pancreas. I have pain in upper abdomen and find it painful to eat. I'd like to know what can be done.

Comment from: Aazumi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had a choledochal cyst in liver when i was 20 years old. Now I'm 24 years old. I had an operation. It was successful. I was having normal life. But nowadays I started having a little pain in my scar in the abdomen. When I bend and dance or do any heavy work I feel pain in my abdomen. I'm getting fat and my tummy is increasing abnormally.