Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Please select the black square:

What are uterine fibroids?

Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus (womb). Although they are composed of the same smooth muscle fibers as the uterine wall (myometrium), they are much denser than normal myometrium. Uterine fibroids are usually round.

Uterine fibroids are often described based upon their location within the uterus. Subserosal fibroids are located beneath the serosa (the lining membrane on the outside of the uterus). These often appear localized on the outside surface of the uterus or may be attached to the outside surface by a pedicle. Submucosal (submucous) fibroids are located inside the uterine cavity beneath the lining of the uterus. Intramural fibroids are located within the muscular wall of the uterus.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: Sholanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I found out that I had uterine fibroids two years ago at the age of 37. The pain is sometimes a bit tolerable, but then there are times when the pain is just unbearable. I had a horrible pain episode a couple of days ago. I literally had to crouch down on all fours and breathe as if I was having a baby, just to get some relief. It also made me very nauseous. Pain medication doesn't really help much.

Comment from: lg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have had uterine fibroids for a while now. My mom had them also. I had an open myomectomy surgery in 2007. My doctor took out 21 small fibroids. He left some because they were by blood vessels. I had a baby in 2010, I nursed, and once the child turned 6 months, the cycles started back. It was a disaster, like a crime scene. While lying down, the blood builds up, and once I stand up, it"s all over. The blood clots are huge, I hate them. I later got back on the pill, to help regulate my cycles. I did not want to do that, after taking them for 15 years, and then 5 years later, taking them again. The blood is still heavy, but not as much. I don"t have as many accidents. I just hate to sneeze or stand, after sitting long periods of time. I do want to have another child. So now I"m just waiting, still taking the pill. Afterwards, I would like to have a hysterectomy. I"m tired of these fibroids. I don"t have many cramps, but they are just irritating.