Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

What are uterine fibroids?

Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus (womb). Although they are composed of the same smooth muscle fibers as the uterine wall (myometrium), they are much denser than normal myometrium. Uterine fibroids are usually round.

Uterine fibroids are often described based upon their location within the uterus. Subserosal fibroids are located beneath the serosa (the lining membrane on the outside of the uterus). These often appear localized on the outside surface of the uterus or may be attached to the outside surface by a pedicle. Submucosal (submucous) fibroids are located inside the uterine cavity beneath the lining of the uterus. Intramural fibroids are located within the muscular wall of the uterus.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: Jules, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I am 50 years old and am having a hysterectomy in 2 days. While I am nervous about the surgery, I am also looking forward to it. With uterine fibroids I've had some very heavy periods with large clots, as well as one period that lasted for 2 months, non-stop. I am also experiencing low back pain and a great deal of bloating. I have gained about 30 pounds, but attribute most of this to my love of food and hatred of exercising. I am also on an antidepressant called imipramine, which lists weight gain as a side effect. I am hoping to lose some of this weight after I recuperate. I'm really hoping my uterus weighs about 30 pounds (highly unlikely, I know).

Comment from: kat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I'm 46 years old, and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I have no heavy bleeding, no stomach pains, I now have a period only for 4 days, while I used to have it for 7 days. No spotting.