Uterine Fibroids - Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

What are uterine fibroids?

Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus (womb). Although they are composed of the same smooth muscle fibers as the uterine wall (myometrium), they are much denser than normal myometrium. Uterine fibroids are usually round.

Uterine fibroids are often described based upon their location within the uterus. Subserosal fibroids are located beneath the serosa (the lining membrane on the outside of the uterus). These often appear localized on the outside surface of the uterus or may be attached to the outside surface by a pedicle. Submucosal (submucous) fibroids are located inside the uterine cavity beneath the lining of the uterus. Intramural fibroids are located within the muscular wall of the uterus.

Return to Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)

Comment from: tiff ann ta, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 29 years old with a large fibroid on my right side. It has caused heavy bleeding and a lot of pain over the past few months. I am in the process of scheduling a surgery and finally getting some relief. It has been a long road but ladies don't let your doctors push it off. Mine tried to, and now I can't wait to have this thing removed. The doctor has now put me on Tylenol with codeine for the pain as nothing else is working; don't let it get that far. This has negatively affected my life in every aspect and makes me feel sick all the time!

Comment from: Patsy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with intramural fibroids. The doctor at that time had felt that a hysterectomy was not necessary and suggested an IUD (intrauterine device) to help with the pain and the bleeding. He stated that the fibroids were small. However after researching the IUD that he had prescribed me, I decided against it. I stopped taking Buscopan because it seemed I would bleed more after it ceased working; like gushing (sorry). And I had hoped the pain would subside. Fast forward to now, and this is my 2nd month in pain. This however is the worst. I am bleeding heavily and I feel pressure in my hips and back along with pelvis pain. I have taken today Tylenol 4S with no relief. It is labor without the gift of life. I can deal with this no longer.