Adult-Onset Asthma - Experience

Please describe your experience with adult-onset asthma.

Please select the black square:

What is adult-onset asthma?

When a doctor makes a diagnosis of asthma in people older than 20, it is known as adult-onset asthma.

Among those who may be more likely to get adult-onset asthma are:

• Women who are having hormonal changes, such as those who are pregnant or who are experiencing menopause

• Women who take estrogen following menopause for 10 years or longer

• People who have just had certain viruses or illnesses, such as a cold or flu

• Obese people

• People with allergies, especially to cats

• People who are exposed to environmental irritants, such as tobacco smoke, mold, dust, feather beds, or perfume. Irritants that bring on asthma symptoms are called "asthma triggers." Asthma brought on by workplace triggers is called "occupational asthma."
Return to Adult-Onset Asthma

Comment from: Angierose60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I moved from Los Angeles, California to Southern New Mexico nine years ago. The very first winter I experienced an asthma attack. I never had one before. I had a cold, then bronchitis and then asthma. It seems, the longer I live here my asthma seems to be getting worse. I see physicians. The only thing that seems to help is prednisone and albuterol plus using a nebulizer. I only have trouble with asthma about once or twice a year but it can last for a few months.