Bumps And Bruises - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bumps and bruises?

What is the treatment for bruising?

There are a couple of things that you can do to prevent or minimize bruising after an injury. First, try a cold compress. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel (applying the ice directly to the skin can cause frostbite), and place it on the injured area. Commercial ice packs are also available, but a bag of frozen peas makes an excellent substitute. It molds to the shape of the injured area and can then be re-frozen and used again (but don't eat them!). The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the bruise. The cold also decreases the inflammation in the area of the injury and limits swelling in this way as well. If possible, elevate the area above the level of the heart. The lower an extremity is below the heart, the more blood will flow to the area and increase the bleeding and swelling.

Avoid taking the medications listed above that can contribute to bruising. If you have any questions about whether or not your medication can contribute to bruising, ask your doctor or pharmacist. Do not stop any prescription medications without first contacting your doctor.

Finally, pressure applied to the area (by hand, not with tourniquets) can reduce bleeding.

People who take medicines that reduce clotting ("blood thinners") or have clotting abnormalities should seek the advice of a physician immediately, as should the elderly or those who have experienced significantly severe trauma.

Return to Bruises

Comment from: ally, 65-74 (Patient) Published: December 27

I have been astonished by the dual effect of aging and warfarin. My INR is between 2 and 3 regularly, but an injury caused by a bad knock and scrape on the shin turned into a hematoma, and a week later it is still angry and very painful. The pain occurs on standing, and it's enough to make me stop at once and raise the leg to alleviate it. This is bad, a lot worse than the pain from my heart surgery! What is puzzling is that as the leg gets back to normal, and the contusion itself starts to look like its healing, the pain does not diminish. When sitting or lying with the leg up, it's ok. As soon as I stand, it's excruciating. I think there is nothing to do but wait, and if you are on warfarin, your choice of pain relief is very limited. Its basically down to codeine if you want something effective and safe.

Comment from: anonymous1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

About six months ago my ex-boyfriend attempted to push me and severely beat my arm severely. After a few hours, a bruise started to show. It was a combination of blue, black, green, purple, and red, and was very tender. It didn't go away for months. It just started to fade. Today the area hurt and was followed by pain in my hand and neck. Is there a possibility something else may be wrong now? I never went to the doctor; I just let it go away by itself because I was too ashamed.