Vasculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vasculitis.

Please select the black square:

What is vasculitis?

Vasculitis is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases that feature inflammation of the blood vessels. The blood vessels of the body are referred to as the vascular system. The blood vessels are comprised of arteries that pass oxygen-rich blood to the tissues of the body and veins that return oxygen-depleted blood from the tissues to the lungs for oxygen. Vasculitis is characterized by inflammation in and damage to the walls of various blood vessels.

Each of the vasculitis diseases is defined by certain patterns of distribution of blood vessel involvement, particular organ involvement, and laboratory test abnormalities. As a group, these diseases are referred to as vasculitides.

The word vasculitis is derived from the Latin "vasculum", vessel + "- itis", inflammation. Another term for vasculitis is angiitis. When arteries are the inflamed blood vessels, the condition is also referred to as arteritis. When the veins are inflamed, it is referred to as venulitis.

Return to Vasculitis

Comment from: Lupie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I've had these rashes on my hands and feet for years. Many diagnoses and prescribed a cream that I could only use sparingly because it makes your skin thinner. I saw my rheumatologist last week and I guess it was the first time he had seen my hands that bad. He said it was vasculitis and that I had to go on Cellcept, an anti-rejection drug. I've had lupus since I was in my late 20s but had symptoms for years before that. This is just one more diagnosis since I have lupus. I'm scared to take the Cellcept because of the dangerous reactions. My hands and feet are the only things I have the rash on. Yes, it itches and burns and my skin peels constantly. Gross! I just feel like a toxic waste dump and don't want to put any other drugs in it. Besides, I just can't afford it. I wish you all well in your journey with this disease.

Comment from: Segbert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

Like everyone I was googling vasculitis neck pain to learn if it is a symptom. I was diagnosed 3 years ago by a skin biopsy, with urticaria vasculitis. My initial symptom was a cough I could not get rid and later I had 3 bites on my legs that quickly exploded. They became blisters from large itchy welts. I got them in the armpit and upper thigh. The blister would leave ugly black marks. I would get a large welt that moved around my face, neck and legs. The welt will start to burn and a blister will develop. I finally found an allergist that suggested a new medication that was FDA approved. It's a monthly injection called Xolair. I have been in remission for two years now. However, I'm concerned about the neck pain as initially I do recall getting them before a flare-up. I also remember a period before the coughing, having numb toes with tingling sensation as some had mentioned. I thought it was from standing for a long period. Regardless, Xolair got me off the prednisone and I hope neck pain is caused by something else. Also, I found Advil may have triggered my flare-ups. I only take Tylenol.