Vasculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vasculitis.

What is vasculitis?

Vasculitis is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases that feature inflammation of the blood vessels. The blood vessels of the body are referred to as the vascular system. The blood vessels are comprised of arteries that pass oxygen-rich blood to the tissues of the body and veins that return oxygen-depleted blood from the tissues to the lungs for oxygen. Vasculitis is characterized by inflammation in and damage to the walls of various blood vessels.

Each of the vasculitis diseases is defined by certain patterns of distribution of blood vessel involvement, particular organ involvement, and laboratory test abnormalities. As a group, these diseases are referred to as vasculitides.

The word vasculitis is derived from the Latin "vasculum", vessel + "- itis", inflammation. Another term for vasculitis is angiitis. When arteries are the inflamed blood vessels, the condition is also referred to as arteritis. When the veins are inflamed, it is referred to as venulitis.

Return to Vasculitis

Comment from: Bookworm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had chronic hepatitis C which went undetected for over 20 years. While undetected I had itchy, painful rashes/open sores around my vagina from time to time which only swimming in salt water could relieve. I was misdiagnosed from herpes to goodness knows what. I also had flare-ups on my arms - elbows and lower arms. I self-treated the itch and rash. It was very itchy, especially at night. Finally a specialist did a biopsy on my arm and was very surprised with the findings of vasculitis. The diagnosis led my general physician to do blood tests which resulted in my hepatitis C diagnosis. I was fortunate to trial a new drug along with the standard ribavirin and injections weekly, all in all 7 drugs a day for 6 months; what a terrible experience! At the end of the horrendous treatment I was pronounced cured and no flare-ups of vasculitis on my arms or anywhere else. What a relief! Two years down the track, I know the vasculitis damage is still there because occasionally I get one patch break out on my elbow and sometimes small bleeds under my skin on my arms. This only occurs when I have a glass of wine, so my vasculitis developed over a long time frame due to a pre-1992 blood transfusion, when blood was not screened at that time. The damage has been done. My only other two symptoms are very aching joints from time to time and fatigue all the time which I manage and still achieve heaps; lots of exercise, etc. All in all, a ghastly repercussion of hepatitis C and ongoing forever I suspect.

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I'm 34 years old I was diagnosed with vasculitis a month ago. Initially I felt a tingling feeling on my toes then as days went by it was itchy and on day 4 I developed red patches on my legs. The 5th day I had body pain from legs to my body (nonstop pain even with paracetamol or mefenamic acid) and tingling feeling all over my body (all day/night). Then 6th day the doctor told me its vasculitis. Over the week I had tests from lupus to kidney, lungs and hepatitis. Thank goodness all tests came back negative. Except I have urinary tract infection (UTI). I was only given Gabix for muscle and joint pains but after 4 to 5 days with it, pain is bearable so I stopped taking it. Now I'm better but I usually have cold hands and feet, sometimes I feel a bit muscle pain and a bit tingling feeling in my legs and arms. I'm just wondering how this will last. It's not really painful but it's bothering.

Stay Informed!