Vasculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vasculitis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is vasculitis?

Vasculitis is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases that feature inflammation of the blood vessels. The blood vessels of the body are referred to as the vascular system. The blood vessels are comprised of arteries that pass oxygen-rich blood to the tissues of the body and veins that return oxygen-depleted blood from the tissues to the lungs for oxygen. Vasculitis is characterized by inflammation in and damage to the walls of various blood vessels.

Each of the vasculitis diseases is defined by certain patterns of distribution of blood vessel involvement, particular organ involvement, and laboratory test abnormalities. As a group, these diseases are referred to as vasculitides.

The word vasculitis is derived from the Latin "vasculum", vessel + "- itis", inflammation. Another term for vasculitis is angiitis. When arteries are the inflamed blood vessels, the condition is also referred to as arteritis. When the veins are inflamed, it is referred to as venulitis.

Return to Vasculitis

Comment from: Andy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I'm 34 years old I was diagnosed with vasculitis a month ago. Initially I felt a tingling feeling on my toes then as days went by it was itchy and on day 4 I developed red patches on my legs. The 5th day I had body pain from legs to my body (nonstop pain even with paracetamol or mefenamic acid) and tingling feeling all over my body (all day/night). Then 6th day the doctor told me its vasculitis. Over the week I had tests from lupus to kidney, lungs and hepatitis. Thank goodness all tests came back negative. Except I have urinary tract infection (UTI). I was only given Gabix for muscle and joint pains but after 4 to 5 days with it, pain is bearable so I stopped taking it. Now I'm better but I usually have cold hands and feet, sometimes I feel a bit muscle pain and a bit tingling feeling in my legs and arms. I'm just wondering how this will last. It's not really painful but it's bothering.

Comment from: Lupie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I've had these rashes on my hands and feet for years. Many diagnoses and prescribed a cream that I could only use sparingly because it makes your skin thinner. I saw my rheumatologist last week and I guess it was the first time he had seen my hands that bad. He said it was vasculitis and that I had to go on Cellcept, an anti-rejection drug. I've had lupus since I was in my late 20s but had symptoms for years before that. This is just one more diagnosis since I have lupus. I'm scared to take the Cellcept because of the dangerous reactions. My hands and feet are the only things I have the rash on. Yes, it itches and burns and my skin peels constantly. Gross! I just feel like a toxic waste dump and don't want to put any other drugs in it. Besides, I just can't afford it. I wish you all well in your journey with this disease.