Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment

How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?

Please select the black square:

How are abdominal adhesions and intestinal obstructions treated?

Treatment for abdominal adhesions is usually not necessary, as most do not cause problems. Surgery is currently the only way to break adhesions that cause pain, intestinal obstruction, or fertility problems. More surgery, however, carries the risk of additional adhesions and is avoided when possible.

A complete intestinal obstruction usually requires immediate surgery. A partial obstruction can sometimes be relieved with a liquid or low-residue diet. A low-residue diet is high in dairy products, low in fiber, and more easily broken down into smaller particles by the digestive system.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: Annie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Adhesional band blocked my small bowel 34 years after cesariann section .There were no warning sign or pain .On the day of being rushed in to A and E I had severe stomach cramping pain and vomiting projectile green bile . I had emergency surgery and am now worried the new scar will do the same thing

Comment from: kidney cyst, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I was hospitalized for intestinal obstructions. They siphoned all the green liquids in my intestines for hours until my system became normal.

Stay Informed!