Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment

How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?

How are abdominal adhesions and intestinal obstructions treated?

Treatment for abdominal adhesions is usually not necessary, as most do not cause problems. Surgery is currently the only way to break adhesions that cause pain, intestinal obstruction, or fertility problems. More surgery, however, carries the risk of additional adhesions and is avoided when possible.

A complete intestinal obstruction usually requires immediate surgery. A partial obstruction can sometimes be relieved with a liquid or low-residue diet. A low-residue diet is high in dairy products, low in fiber, and more easily broken down into smaller particles by the digestive system.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: bestmilever, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 12

My husband just had his 4th colon cancer surgery. The doctor sewed him back up saying he couldn't get through the scar tissue and it became like cement and he was afraid of puncturing holes in his colon and losing him on the operating table. It left us with little hope, since there are 2 spots on his liver. He will have chemotherapy but the surgeon predicts the tumor will block his bowels.

Comment from: Jilybeans, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a partial hysterectomy in 1996 with cervical closure. For the past year I've been in pain, mostly on the right side. I went to the emergency room and was told it was irritable bowel syndrome. A year came and went and I still had the same pain. I met with an obstetrician/gynecologist and he told me I had a cyst on my right ovary but it was attached to my inguinal canal. Three weeks ago I had the ovary removed and had extensive adhesion removal (one end of my stomach to the other), and since then I have been in severe pain every time I cough, sneeze or urinate. I'm very bloated and sometimes when I cough I feel like I'm going to pass out. I don't know what to do since I had the surgery to remove the adhesions already.