Abdominal Adhesions - Treatment

How were your abdominal adhesions or intestinal obstructions treated? Did you have surgery?

Please select the white circle:

How are abdominal adhesions and intestinal obstructions treated?

Treatment for abdominal adhesions is usually not necessary, as most do not cause problems. Surgery is currently the only way to break adhesions that cause pain, intestinal obstruction, or fertility problems. More surgery, however, carries the risk of additional adhesions and is avoided when possible.

A complete intestinal obstruction usually requires immediate surgery. A partial obstruction can sometimes be relieved with a liquid or low-residue diet. A low-residue diet is high in dairy products, low in fiber, and more easily broken down into smaller particles by the digestive system.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a bowel obstruction in 2009 due to scar tissue but avoided surgery after 3 days with an NG (nasogastric) tube. I find being at high altitudes and having alcohol causes recurrence of a partial blockage. Also diet plays a factor; not eating high fiber, bread, etc. I hope this information might help others. My scar tissue is the results of 2 caesareans as well as surgery to repair a ruptured ovarian cyst. I hate that it is impacting my life and am considering surgery so that I don't have to fear going to high altitude locations. I am hoping if I have surgery, the risk of recurrent scar tissue may take many years to occur but give me better quality of life now.

Comment from: givemeananswer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had three laparoscopic surgeries in which adhesions were found. The first makes no mention as to what procedure if any was used to address them, the second they were lysed and the third they were taken down bluntly, as well as two others lysed using C02 laser. In my fourth surgery the laparotomy when the removed my uterus and cervix there was no mention of any adhesions.