Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis

Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.

Please select the white circle:

How are abdominal adhesions and intestinal obstructions diagnosed?

No tests are available to diagnose adhesions, and adhesions cannot be seen through imaging techniques such as X-rays or ultrasound. Most adhesions are found during exploratory surgery. An intestinal obstruction, however, can be seen through abdominal X-rays, barium contrast studies - also called a lower GI series - and computerized tomography.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: nmsteph28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Two emergency room visits, a CT scan, colonoscopy, 4 ultrasounds, endoscopy, countless visits to gastroenterologists and gynecologists, until finally my gynecologist did surgery for a "cyst" on my left ovary. Wait, I don't have a left ovary. It was removed during a hysterectomy in 2001. When the gynecologist did the surgery, she discovered the abdominal adhesions. It's been 10 months since my surgery and the chronic pain is back; vicious circle!

Comment from: Pinnywinch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had five bowel resections for Crohn's disease problems. Last year I had my gall bladder removed by open surgery and they had a look at my bowel at the same time. Apparently all my bowel is stuck together (adhesions) and my gall bladder was the only thing that was free (making it easier to remove than was thought).