Abdominal Adhesions - Diagnosis

Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of abdominal adhesions.

Please select the black square:

How are abdominal adhesions and intestinal obstructions diagnosed?

No tests are available to diagnose adhesions, and adhesions cannot be seen through imaging techniques such as X-rays or ultrasound. Most adhesions are found during exploratory surgery. An intestinal obstruction, however, can be seen through abdominal X-rays, barium contrast studies - also called a lower GI series - and computerized tomography.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: Mark Garb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I thought I had severe food poisoning. Previous to this one odd day of intestinal blockage, I was a very fit, healthy yoga practitioner. I ate late the night before and slept on a full stomach, followed by work requiring squatting, the following morning. A big milkshake at lunch sealed my fate. It induced vomiting for 5 foolish hours, while no gas or bowel movement came. Finally I drove myself to the emergency at 2 am in horrible pain. An MRI confirmed my blockage right at the location of a 1972 appendix surgery. I passed on my own, the blockage, with some IV fluid assist and morphine, but submitted to surgery the following day. Watch your diet while recovering. I was foolish and had many painful days the following 2 weeks.

Comment from: givemeananswer, Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffered from stabbing pain in the pelvis, back pain radiating to the hip more pronounced on the right side. And instead of just having incredible pain at the time of menstruation that was once tolerable with naproxen, it became unbearable more so at the time of ovulation. It became debilitating I could no longer go into work. I underwent laparoscopy to determine pelvic pain and to remove an ovarian cyst, and to have voluntary sterilization (tubes tied), when the adhesions were found.