Abdominal Adhesions - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your abdominal adhesions.

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of abdominal adhesions?

Although most abdominal adhesions go unnoticed, the most common symptom is chronic abdominal or pelvic pain. The pain often mimics that of other conditions, including appendicitis, endometriosis, and diverticulitis.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: Sylvadoll, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I believe I may have abdominal adhesions. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically in 2009. About a year ago I started having this intense pain around my belly button. It feels like pins and needles most of the time, but occasionally it feels like someone is stabbing me from the inside. The pain is localized to the area that was cut, my belly button, straight up the abdomen and it stops right before my sternum. I also developed keloids after surgery. The pain gets worse when I lay down. I cannot even just get up anymore. I have to roll over then slowly push myself up. When I do that I feel this tugging sensation in my abdomen. The pain also worsens during my menstrual period and slowly goes away after it is over.

Comment from: tummytrouble, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Adhesions are nothing to play with! When they have blocked your bowel it is a pain that exceeds the 0-10 scale. It's been 3 months since I was cleaned stem to sternum of abdominal adhesions. Within 6 weeks I was in excruciating pain and vomiting stool! The six attempts at getting a nasogastric tube in place were unsuccessful and gave me a severe nose bleed to the point that I was vomiting not only stool but my own blood. Finally the decision was made to insert a tube into my stomach to drain it. It was the only thing that relieved the pain. I am now still with the stomach tube and on TPN (total parenteral nutrition) because I lost 25lbs in 7 to 10 days. Since then I've only been able to gain 5lbs. Eating is a chore. I have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from the whole experience sometimes I scream out in pain while I'm sleeping! This has been a horrible experience but thankfully I finally got my doctor to listen when I told them something was wrong because my stool looked like little worms! Fecal incontinence was also a big problem!