Abdominal Adhesions - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your abdominal adhesions?

Please select the black triangle:

What causes abdominal adhesions?

Abdominal surgery is the most frequent cause of abdominal adhesions. Almost everyone who undergoes abdominal surgery develops adhesions; however, the risk is greater after operations on the lower abdomen and pelvis, including bowel and gynecological surgeries. Adhesions can become larger and tighter as time passes, causing problems years after surgery.

Surgery-induced causes of abdominal adhesions include

• tissue incisions, especially those involving internal organs
  • the handling of internal organs
  • the drying out of internal organs and tissues
  • contact of internal tissues with foreign materials, such as gauze, surgical gloves, and stitches
  • blood or blood clots that were not rinsed out during surgery

A less common cause of abdominal adhesions is inflammation from sources not related to surgery, including

• appendicitis - in particular, appendix rupture
  • radiation treatment for cancer
  • gynecological infections
  • abdominal infections

Rarely, abdominal adhesions form without apparent cause.

Return to Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)

Comment from: helloworld, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The cause for my abdominal adhesions was liposuction. The adhesions presented themselves a few years later.

Comment from: CBS-, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The cause of my abdominal adhesions is from having my gall bladder removed in 1998. In 2008 I had laparoscopic exploratory surgery to determine the cause of the extreme pain and lump in the right lower quadrant of my abdomen. A mass of scar tissue that had adhered to my abdominal wall (where my gall bladder had as well) and a "great amount" of adhesions were removed. It is now 2014 and the same pain but worse, and lump have returned but the first doctor I"ve seen is refusing to do anything. I have an appointment for a second opinion but truly deplore taking pain medication; however it is necessary at this time because sitting and walking, any movement, brings me to tears. The first doctor had a CT scan performed, which was negative of course - even he said it wouldn"t show scar tissues. Hoping the second opinion has some other options, I refuse to take pain medications I'm thinking about trying massage.