Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Please select the black triangle:

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a very curious and poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, that grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: positive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I started with a rash across my stomach. The doctor said it was possibly from some article of clothing. This was in December 2013. Within a week it had spread to my back, then on to my legs. A biopsy was taken, lichen planus came up. Cortisone cream was prescribed for me (a waste of time), also this thins the skin; not good. My rash is now fading after using a vitamin E cream for dry, itchy skin. I have cut down on alcohol, I am watching my diet, and trying very hard not to get stressed. I know, easier said than done!

Comment from: shinobuzz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

It all started 11 years back when I was 13 and tried my first hair removal treatment. Before that I had mild acne issues and was following a treatment at my local dermatologist. He was continuously providing me creams and medicines but there was no amelioration. Above all, my parents and I had no clue why my "so thought eczema" wasn"t going. Two years ago I found out by another dermatologist that it was called lichen planus and was returned with the same treatment. Till today it's a nightmare for me. Itchiness and dry skin form part of my daily life and my only way to ease my pain now is just moisturizing the skin though it is very tempting to scratch.