Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Please select the white circle:

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation in the skin and mucous membranes. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, which grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

After my Harvoni treatments and cure I developed lichen planus. I hate it, itches all the time. Prednisone helps.

Comment from: Gina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I've been diagnosed with lichen planus in October 2015. I have had this for 8 months. I will never ever be the same. I have never had a scar on my body before, and now I have tons. I carry it on my wrist (badly) and on my shins and ankles. A small amount on my back, and it is also on my lips (because of which I have to wear dark lip stick every day or someone will think I have something catchy like herpes). I'm more depressed then I've ever been in my life. I am currently 24 years old. I have a son and a daughter and I just found out I have one on the way. It seems to get very bad, then get better, and then it starts all over again! I've been on prednisone. It is awful. I've been on 3 different creams, and they are all awful. This is terrible. It looks like I have scabies. So I got an aloe vera plant. I cut the plants and put the liquid all over my body, and lately, it is looking great. Not as great as I want it to get, but it is definitely doing something right. Hopefully something works out. Maybe with being pregnant it will get better, who knows!