Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Please select the black square:

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a very curious and poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, that grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: HELPING, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been having lichen planus for over 13 years, I couldn"t understand what it was in the beginning. And now, after having a white lines inside my mouth and some white rings on my penis, I started losing hair and my nails started to get different, red spots that itch... I understand everyone out there. I would like to share my experience with you. I have made a lot of research in my country and talked to many professors. Most of the people that have this problem, are people under stress or have a problem of getting angry very quickly. Ok, here is what I got to understand from having this disease. Start With a diet for three months, where you do 1) not drink alcohol, 2) not eat citrus fruits, have no garlic, 3) not eat potatoes, rice, pasta or regular bread, 4) not eat sugar, cakes, chocolates, cola. etc., 5) have no salt at all, 6) have no oil of any kind and 7) not eat steak or any kind of meat either. The problem is that we have an imbalance in our body, and we need to re-balance it back to normal. As I mentioned 3 months and after that you need to see the results, you might need to do another 3 months. That is the price we have to pay to get back to normal. What we can eat is 1) buckwheat and dark healthy bread, 2) green vegetables raw or cooked without salt, 3) any kind of cooked meat, 4) milk products and eggs, 5) omega 3 oil or tablets, 6) everyday drink a glass of ginger cut it into slices and put into boiled water, and steeped for around 12 hours. 7) The most important thing is to avoid stress, and avoid getting angry, I do not how do you plan to do that, but you have to. 8) Getting enough sunlight is something that helps too.

Comment from: KATER, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am female, aged 64, I am retired now from working in office setting for about 38 years. At age 48 I was diagnosed with lichen planus by the dentist, after suffering for about six years. Previous dentist said I had gingivitis. Not so. The new dentist said to take echinacea with goldenseal root, and another herb which I'm unable to recall at this time (I don't have medical records with me). Since the original cure, fast forward to today and I've developed another form of lichen planus on my wrists, forearms and ankles, also under armpits. I used echinacea with goldenseal and 3 weeks later all itching stopped. Scars on ankles, wrists, forearms, and armpits are gray or purple. Now I am looking for bleaching cream to help fade scars. By this submission, I hope others may benefit.

Stay Informed!