Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation in the skin and mucous membranes. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, which grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: ngris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I was diagnosed with severe nail lichen planus 2 years ago. I literally had no nails within 6 months. I was treated with steroids, Plaquenil, creams, and steroid injections in the nail bed once a month. Extremely painful. My nails all grew back so they slowly took me off the Plaquenil and creams. It's been 4 months and now it's back again with a vengeance. I've lost two nails so far with two more affected. It's now in my mouth as well. My tongue feels like I burned it every day. They put me on CellCept (immune depressant), Plaquenil, and creams again which don't seem to be working. I'm going to start steroid injections again. I'm on an autoimmune diet. I'm exhausted! I want my nails back but they say that may never happen. No one knows why this happens or what causes it. It's incredibly frustrating! I just want it to go away.

Comment from: kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

After my Harvoni treatments and cure I developed lichen planus. I hate it, itches all the time. Prednisone helps.