Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a very curious and poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, that grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: Mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had lichen planus on my palms, wrist and elbow crease, then it appeared on my feet, ankles and on the creases of my eye lids and around my lips. It then appeared in my mouth and made it very sore. The rash just disappeared some years later but what I found to be a relief and a miraculous clear-up, having tried all the medications, was cherry yogurt. I spread it around in my mouth for relief and a few days later my symptoms eased. I still have scarring some ten years later in my mouth but the skin cleared totally.

Comment from: Mareco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed 9 months ago, but have had lichen planus for over a year now. And it is all over my body, I'm more stressed from the constant itching and the damage to my skin than the stress of my job. I have to walk around in Texas heat with long sleeves and long pants when I do go out of the house. I'm depressed and tired of being on useless steroid, shots, pills, and creams. I can't sleep and I'm miserable day and night from the itch.