Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

What is lichen planus?

Lichen planus is a chronic recurrent rash that is due to inflammation. The rash is characterized by small, flat-topped, many-sided (polygonal) bumps that can grow together into rough, scaly plaques on the skin. There may also be a rash in the lining (mucous membranes) of the mouth or vagina.

Lichen planus is a very curious and poorly understood skin condition. Its name is descriptive in that to some it resembles a simple plant, a lichen, that grows on rocks and tree bark, while planus is Latin for flat.

Return to Lichen Planus

Comment from: Mareco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed 9 months ago, but have had lichen planus for over a year now. And it is all over my body, I'm more stressed from the constant itching and the damage to my skin than the stress of my job. I have to walk around in Texas heat with long sleeves and long pants when I do go out of the house. I'm depressed and tired of being on useless steroid, shots, pills, and creams. I can't sleep and I'm miserable day and night from the itch.

Comment from: Fedup58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I was first diagnosed with lichen planus 32 years ago, and it started on the ankles and inner wrists. Over the years I have had numerous outbreaks. I now have it in my mouth and gums, at the moment my gums around my front teeth are bleeding when I brush them or eat anything and it is so painful. I have moved area since being first diagnosed. I am taking steroid mouth rinse 4 times a day. I wonder if this bleeding is normal as I haven't had this before.