Double Vision - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with your double vision.

What are the symptoms and signs of double vision?

Images may appear to overlap each other or may appear adjacent to each other. Diplopia may vary depending on the direction of gaze or with tilting or turning of the head.

One of the most critical features to determine is whether the diplopia is monocular or binocular. In monocular diplopia, the double vision is caused by a condition within one or both eyes and does not resolve when one eye is covered. In binocular diplopia, the eyes are misaligned. Each eye sees a single image when working alone, as when one eye is covered, but when both eyes are open the brain perceives two adjacent images.

Return to Double Vision

Comment from: ScottieG, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I'm 58 years old, and diabetic (type 2). My vision has been slowly deteriorating for several years, but nothing I can't live with. Two days ago, while driving, I suddenly felt very strange. I actually thought I'd been drugged. My head was spinning, the sunlight bothered my eyes, and I was seeing double. Objects that were close, like the dashboard looked normal, but vehicles, signs and buildings in the distance were either overlapped or distinctly doubled. I tried closing my right eye, and the double vision went away. As soon as I used both eyes, it came right back. This has been constant ever since the onset, and I have had a low-grade headache most of the time. I have no other unusual symptoms.

Comment from: Bad vision, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had RK (radial keratotomy) surgery over 30 years ago. My vision was so bad that at that time in my 20s, that when I heard of this surgery I decided to have it done. It was performed on the left eye only; I had 17 incisions done on my cornea. Wow, it was great to be able to see. Well, it turns out long term side effects caused the double vision and I also cannot see close up reading, especially if the letters are in color. I have reading glasses but they don't help very much, it's frustrating. My vision fluctuates to such extreme, the lights bother me. I have seen the eye doctor and nothing can be done. I never had my right eye done, however 3 years ago, I lost my vision on my right eye to myopia degeneration to the point it cannot be reversed.