Double Vision - Causes

What was the cause of your double vision?

Please select the white circle:

What causes double vision?

There are dozens of causes of double vision ranging from benign to life-threatening. Therefore, it is important for the doctor to carefully review the history and the examination to determine the cause and initiate appropriate treatment when necessary.

Return to Double Vision

Comment from: Yvonne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I had my first diplopia experience in March 2013. I am a teacher and was on my lunch break. I have had a history of migraines and am also a Meniere's disease patient. With no warning as I turned around from the counter, I was suddenly seeing multiples, not just doubles but quadruples. The multiples were vertically aligned. My husband took me to the emergency room where I had several doctors working with me. I had an MRI, several different blood tests and numerous other exams. When I closed one eye, I could see normally; both eyes open, multiples. This lasted for approximately 18 hours. It was so scary as well as exasperating. All the tests came back clear and no actual cause was ever diagnosed. An ophthalmologist was called in after I had been at the emergency room about 12 hours and eventually after he tried several different types of drops, he was able to bring my vision back to a state of normalcy. I had no other episodes until today, nearly one year later. Today I only had double vision and it didn"t last, just less than an hour. It was still really scary.

Comment from: Double Vision, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I have met with a minor accident with head injury, and I've been diabetic for the last 7 years. I have developed diplopia after recovering from the accident. Doctors are not sure of the reasons for having me developing double vision. An MRI of brain is taken and reviewed by a neurosurgeon, a course of tablets are for 15 days. There was improvement in vision, like I was able to see nearby items clearly and distance one as double objects. I have continued with vitamin tablets and now I am 80% recovered.

Stay Informed!