Double Vision - Causes

What was the cause of your double vision?

What causes double vision?

There are dozens of causes of double vision ranging from benign to life-threatening. Therefore, it is important for the doctor to carefully review the history and the examination to determine the cause and initiate appropriate treatment when necessary.

Return to Double Vision

Comment from: Taylor S., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I developed strabismus in my right eye at a young age. I got an eye muscle operation that fixed my crossed eye, at the age of 7. During the operation my left eye turned in so therefore I had 2 eye operations. I've always had double vision with my turned eye, it goes away if I cover one of my eyes or if I wear glasses.

Comment from: Michaela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Over the course of a couple of days, I began experiencing eye pain and blurry vision. Within a week or two, that developed into double vision. I hoped it would go away with heat applications, ice applications, eye drops, wearing different glasses prescriptions, etc. For about a month, I tried to treat it myself. Eventually, I saw an optometrist, who referred me to an ophthalmologist. One MRI later, I was referred to a neurologist, who diagnosed me with multiple sclerosis (MS) after a spinal tap and an MRI of my brain and spine. The double vision had already subsided on its own. I was put on disease-modifying medication for my MS almost immediately, and I have been feeling great since. Like most diseases, early MS treatment is likely to improve your long-term prognosis, so I'm actually grateful that I had such a bothersome symptom so early on. If you develop double vision, please hurry to get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.