Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

What are the types of pneumothorax?

A spontaneous pneumothorax, also referred to as a primary pneumothorax, occurs in the absence of a traumatic injury to the chest or a known lung disease. A secondary (also termed complicated) pneumothorax occurs as a result of an underlying condition.

Return to Pneumothorax

Comment from: evi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I"m a 32 year old very active mom of 3. I have never smoked, never done drugs, not particularly tall. I woke up one day and was short of breath but had no pain. Over the course of the week following I went on with my life. I carried my baby, went to the gym, went bowling, etc. It seemed like I was actually getting better but the cough was what made my husband insist on my seeing a doctor. I was dumbfounded when I heard the diagnosis of pneumothorax. I got a chest tube in the urgent care center (I"d rather give birth again) and was transported to the hospital. The doctor said that it"s probably from lifting weights at the gym. I"m on my third day at the hospital and still had a 10% collapse today. Tube is out though. If it"s still 10% tomorrow I get to go home, finally.

Comment from: rasha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am 25 year old. I had pneumothorax when I was 21. I am not tall, am of medium height. It suddenly happened to me while talking to a friend. I couldn't breathe, felt so weak and couldn"t move my right hand! One of the worst aches ever and my lips turned up blue! I went to the emergency room and they've done a chest tube for one week, then an operation to be sure that there won't be any chance to get a pneumothorax once again. It worked but I still get pain from time to time and it kills me and I wonder how to deal with it. Sometimes I take a deep breath sometimes it stays for days. I should be away from smoking areas and smokers.

Stay Informed!