Iron Deficiency - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your iron deficiency?

Signs and Symptoms of Iron Deficiency

Too little iron can impair body functions, but most physical signs and symptoms do not show up unless iron deficiency anemia occurs. Someone with early stages of iron deficiency may have no signs or symptoms. This is why it is important to screen for too little iron among high risk groups.

Signs of iron deficiency anemia include12

• Feeling tired and weak
  • Decreased work and school performance
  • Slow cognitive and social development during childhood
  • Difficulty maintaining body temperature
  • Decreased immune function, which increases susceptibility to infection
  • Glossitis (an inflamed tongue)
Return to Iron Deficiency

Comment from: kfcmimi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with low iron about 8 months ago. Symptoms are restless legs syndrome (RLS), cracks in the corners of my mouth, fatigue, shortness of breath and heart palpitations. I have had 5 iron infusions within that time. Levels are still not where they should be. I have had colonoscopy and endoscopy with no evidence of bleeding.

Comment from: Momof5, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

My symptoms of iron deficiency are feeling very cold all the time, depression, fatigue, restless leg, pale skin, very brittle nails, lack of concentration, and thinning hair. I also have hypothyroid and I'm pregnant.