Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Stress and Anxiety

Does stress or anxiety trigger your IBS? What changes have you made to alleviate these triggers?

Are stress and anxiety triggers for IBS?

Stress and anxiety may be triggers for IBS and the development of recurrent symptoms. Chronic stress experienced early in life (less than age 18) may increase the chances of developing IBS. Moreover, people diagnosed with IBS can have stress or anxiety trigger IBS symptoms, such as diarrhea, constipation, abdominal bloating, mucus defecation and /or feelings of incomplete bowel movements.

Return to Irritable Bowel Syndrome Triggers and Prevention

Comment from: Tommy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 65 year old male who has been living with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) with diarrhea for almost 9 years. I am a diabetic and I take a number of prescriptions every day as well as 4 shots of insulin (Lantus and Humulin R). While the diabetes is likely to cause me to meet my maker, the IBS actually makes me want to be dead. It has ruined my life to the extent that I can't travel more than three miles from my home without having to make a mad dash for a restroom. I know that there are thousands of people out there that have a similar condition and I look forward to discussing with anyone that has some thoughts.

Comment from: patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I am an anxiety sufferer. Some people and certain situations disturb me. I have stomach and bowel trouble. I take Xanax tablets.