Heartburn - Causes

Discuss the causes of or reasons for your heartburn, including dietary, lifestyle, or medical.

What causes heartburn?

The esophagus (the tube that connects your mouth to the stomach) has a tight band of muscles at the lower end (lower esophageal sphincter [LES]) that closes after the food enters the stomach and prevents the stomach contents to reenter the esophagus. If this sphincter weakens or relaxes at the wrong time, stomach acid can back up into the esophagus, causing heartburn.

Return to Heartburn (Acid Reflux)

Comment from: Robert Severs, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 01

For heart burn there is a simple solution. I have been plagued all my life with heart burn and had over the counter tablets, etc., constantly in my pockets. There have been all types of articles on what foods to eat in order to avoid the problem, but this means a lot of restrictions. What I have found that the simple correction is to drink no beverages during your eating times throughout the day. In the basics of digestion we start with the mouth and mastication which stimulates the saliva and is the first step in digestion. Almost all people have a beverage during eating, with food in your mouth, and find that minimal chewing is stopped short when your food is washed down with a beverage, even water, and the saliva is short-stopped in the process. I have found if I take time in the chewing process during a meal and allow the saliva to do its work that heart burn does not occur. Fill your daily quota of water or beverage between meals and consume none during any meal. Take it from me, it works, as I have suffered much over my 83 years and now I can eat most anything.

Comment from: Robert S., Male (Patient) Published: October 10

Here is a simple solution for heart burn. I have been plagued all my life with heart burn and had over the counter tablets, etc., constantly in my pockets. There have been all types of articles on what foods to eat in avoiding the problem but this makes for lots of restrictions. What I have found is that the simple correction is to drink no beverages during your eating times throughout the day. In the basics of digestion we start with the mouth and mastication which stimulates the saliva and is the first step in digestion. Almost all people have a beverage during eating, with food in your mouth, and find that minimal chewing is stopped short when your food is washed down with a beverage, even water, and the saliva is short-stopped in the process. I have found that heart burn does not occur, if I take time in the chewing process during a meal and allow the saliva to do its work. Fill your daily quota of water or beverage between meals and consume none during any meal. Take it from me, it works, as I have suffered much over my 83 years and now I can eat most anything.