Kidney Disease (HBP Related) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your kidney disease?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of chronic kidney disease (CKD)?

Early kidney disease is a silent problem, like high blood pressure, and does not have any symptoms. People may have CKD but not know it because they do not feel sick. A person's glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is a measure of how well the kidneys are filtering wastes from the blood. GFR is estimated from a routine measurement of creatinine in the blood. The result is called the estimated GFR (eGFR).

Creatinine is a waste product formed by the normal breakdown of muscle cells. Healthy kidneys take creatinine out of the blood and put it into the urine to leave the body. When the kidneys are not working well, creatinine builds up in the blood.

An eGFR with a value below 60 milliliters per minute (mL/min) suggests some kidney damage has occurred. The score means that a person's kidneys are not working at full strength.

Another sign of CKD is proteinuria, or protein in the urine. Healthy kidneys take wastes out of the blood but leave protein. Impaired kidneys may fail to separate a blood protein called albumin from the wastes. At first, only small amounts of albumin may leak into the urine, a condition known as microalbuminuria, a sign of failing kidney function. As kidney function worsens, the amount of albumin and other proteins in the urine increases, and the condition is called proteinuria. CKD is present when more than 30 milligrams of albumin per gram of creatinine is excreted in urine, with or without decreased eGFR.

Return to Hypertensive Kidney Disease

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

The symptoms of my kidney disease were a burning in only one kidney. There is always blood in my urine. Sometimes I can see a large amount. I can also feel an irritation in my urethra. There is no infection with this. I also have a soreness in my kidney area only on the right side.

Comment from: yeager, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

After being blessed with health insurance for several years and going for checkups every 3 to 6 months, my primary doctor neglected to find out through all his blood work on me, that I am now functioning with only one kidney. I suffer from high blood pressure, which has not been really controlled with medicines. It was not until three to six months ago that I went to a nephrologist and urologist that my right kidney had kidney stones, on it, and now is to working at all. So I am not working with one kidney, my blood pressure is high when I wake up in the morning, and none of my medicines work anymore. I am waiting to go to my nephrologist to see what he can do to control my blood pressure, my primary has basically said it is not his problem anymore, that I need to follow up with a specialist.