Tetanus - Describe Your Experience

What were the symptoms of your tetanus?

What is the course of tetanus? What are tetanus symptoms and signs?

During a one- to seven-day period, progressive muscle spasms caused by the tetanus toxin in the immediate wound area may progress to involve the entire body in a set of continuous muscle contractions. Restlessness, headache, and irritability are common.

The tetanus neurotoxin causes the muscles to tighten up into a continuous ("tetanic" or "tonic") contraction or spasm. The jaw is "locked" by muscle spasms, giving the name "lockjaw" (also called "trismus"). Muscles throughout the body are affected, including the vital muscles necessary for normal breathing. When the breathing muscles lose their power, breathing becomes difficult or impossible and death can occur without life-support measures (mechanical ventilation). Even with breathing support, infections of the airways within the lungs can lead to death.

Return to Tetanus

Comment from: yhen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I think I'm also infected of tetanus. Because the last year in the month of March, I stepped on a nail pointing upward and now my leg aches always. I'm nervous.

Comment from: amanda p, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

Movement of jaw results in pain, I cannot open jaw wide. It hurts to swallow and I have ear aches and headaches. I do not have any muscle spasms but I am concerned about an insect bite that has not healed in about a month, I wonder if this could be a result of tetanus.