Tetanus - Describe Your Experience

What were the symptoms of your tetanus?

What is the course of the tetanus disease? What are the symptoms and signs of tetanus?

During a one- to seven-day period, progressive muscle spasms caused by the tetanus toxin in the immediate wound area may progress to involve the entire body in a set of continuous muscle contractions. Restlessness, headache, and irritability are common.

The tetanus neurotoxin causes the muscles to tighten up into a continuous ("tetanic" or "tonic") contraction or spasm. The jaw is "locked" by muscle spasms, giving the name "lockjaw" (also called "trismus"). Muscles throughout the body are affected, including the vital muscles necessary for normal breathing. When the breathing muscles lose their power, breathing becomes difficult or impossible and death can occur without life-support measures (mechanical ventilation). Even with breathing support, infections of the airways within the lungs can lead to death.

Return to Tetanus

Comment from: mcleans, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I'd be inside doing daily chores, soon as I go outside to take the garbage out, within minutes my body is tense, my hands get this weird itchy feeling and then my jaw locks and is hard to breath after. My body seems to not like the cold.

Comment from: morty, 45-54 Female Published: August 03

About 3-4 months ago, my son began to have pain in his right jaw. He went thru 2 courses of antibiotics with very little relief. He has seen 3 different dentists and none could see any dental problems that would cause this pain. One X-ray did indicate that there was no "cushion" (as the meniscus in the knee) between the upper and lower jaws of the joint. The pain has gotten considerably worse and he can now only open his mouth 3/4 to inch without severe pain. He also seems to have developed a swollen gland just under the jaw bone. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.