Folliculitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your folliculitis?

Please select the white circle:

How is folliculitis treated?

There are many treatment options and skin care recipes for treating folliculitis. The specific treatment depends on the cause of the folliculitis.

Home therapy for mild cases of bacterial folliculitis includes use of an over-the-counter antibacterial wash like benzoyl peroxide (Clearisil, Proactiv), chlorhexidine (Hibiclens), or Phisoderm twice a day. The best results may be achieved with combination therapy using topical products and antibacterial washes.

Holistic treatment for folliculitis may include soaking the affected area in a tub of diluted white vinegar (1 part vinegar to 4 parts of water) or soaking in a bathtub with very diluted Clorox bleach (¼ cup of Clorox bleach in a bathtub full of water).

Bacterial folliculitis may be treated with antibacterial skin washes and topical and/or oral antibiotics. It is important to keep in mind that as with any condition, no therapy is uniformly effective in all people. Your doctor may need to help evaluate the cause of your folliculitis.

Moderate cases of bacterial folliculitis may be treated by a routine of twice-daily application of a topical antibiotic, such as clindamycin lotion or metronidazole lotion. A five- to 30-day course of an oral antibiotic like cephalexin (Keflex), dicloxacillin (Dynapen), doxycycline, minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin), ciprofloxacin (Cipro), or levofloxacin (Levaquin) may be used for folliculitis that is more resistant. After initial clearing with stronger medications, a milder maintenance antibacterial wash and topical antibiotic may be recommended.

Fungal or yeast folliculitis is often treated with an antifungal shampoo or body wash such as ketoconazole (Nizoral shampoo) twice daily. More resistant or deeper fungal folliculitis may require the addition of a topical antifungal cream such as miconazole (Lotrimin) or terbinafine (Lamisil) and an antifungal pill such as fluconazole (Diflucan).

Persistent skin discoloration called hyperpigmentation may be treated with prescription fading creams like hydroquinone 4%, kojic acid, and azelaic acid 15%-20%. Over-the-counter fading creams with 2% hydroquinone like Porcelana may be somewhat effective.

Return to Folliculitis

Comment from: Jens, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 02

I've suffered from folliculitis for more than a year. From the start I used a cream called Betnovate with chinoform, firstly 3 times a day, then twice a day and after about 5 weeks once a day. In addition to this twice a week I used a shampoo called ketoconazole all over my body and left it on for 4 minutes before washing it off (shower). The cure seemed to work, after the first 3-4 weeks there was a clear progress, but then it took a long time, about 10 months, before it was nearly gone. At that time my doctor diagnosed me with rosacea and prescribed 2 Tetralysal 150 mg a day for 3 months, an antibiotic. Shortly after my starting this cure, the folliculitis came back "in force", so my doctor told me to start the cure all over again. At the same time she took a biopsy of the infected skin and I am waiting for the result. And I expect soon to visit a hospital specializing in this kind of skin problems. My experience in this is, if you get this problem, demand a biopsy, so the doctor brings up the right cure from the beginning.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had recurring folliculitis in my pubic region. My primary care physician prescribed an antibiotic ointment, which was tacky in texture, messy to apply, messy within my underwear, and did nothing to control the oozing of blood and pus from an erupted lesion. The last time I got all the lesions to clear up, I started wiping the affected area down with a tissue moistened generously with simple rubbing alcohol every night before I went to bed. I haven't had a recurrence in eight months. It may not work for everyone, but at least it's cheap to try.