Jock Itch - Experience

Please describe your experience with jock itch.

What is jock itch? What does jock itch look like?

Jock itch is a common, itchy rash of the groin. It can be a very intense itch and is associated with a red or pink rash involving the groin folds and genitals. Jock itch is primarily a skin condition in men.

The symptoms of jock itch may come and go, and many cases of jock itch resolve spontaneously without any treatment. Jock itch is primarily seen in the groin, although it may spread to the inner thighs, genitals (including penis, scrotum, labia, and vaginal opening), and anus.

While jock itch is frequently noted in otherwise healthy patients, patients with diabetes and/or obesity are more susceptible. Possible causes of this common groin itch include irritation from tight or abrasive underwear, excess moisture, sweating, skin rubbing or friction, allergic problems, fungal infection, Candida (yeast) infection, and bacterial overgrowth or skin infection.

Treatment of fungal-related jock itch may include one or a combination of antifungal creams and, rarely, antifungal pills. Treatment of jock itch that is not caused by fungus involves proper groin hygiene, keeping the area clean and dry, and washing frequently with gentle soap and water (especially after sweating or exercise).

Jock itch causes a symmetrical red or pink rash on the sides of the groin folds. There may be a dry, scaly rash or a collection of small, pinpoint red or pink bumps at each hair follicle.

Return to Jock Itch

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Jock itch is curable as far as I know but usually it is caused by not bathing, changing panties. My jock itch started a few months back and I thought it was an STD, but that's when I saw an article in a men's health magazine and I went to the pharmacy but I couldn't get the treatment because I was shy. Then I had to throw away all my underwear and I bought new ones and suddenly it stopped. But jock itch is unbearable and I hate it.

Comment from: Tomasz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am currently dealing with the effects of jock itch. It is awful. I've tried hydrocortisone cream, but it doesn't help much. I suppose seeking the help of a medical professional is the best course of action, but it is rather embarrassing.