Broken Toe - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your broken toe?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of a broken toe?

• Pain, swelling, or stiffness will occur in a broken toe following injury. It may be difficult to walk due to the pain, especially with a broken big toe. This is because the big toe bears much of the weight of the body when walking or pivoting. A broken little toe may be painful but usually does not limit the ability to walk.
  • Other symptoms include bruising of the skin around the toe and a bent or deformed appearance of the toe if the broken bone is out of place.
  • Other problems may develop as a result of the fractured toe. Complications can occur immediately after the injury (minutes to days), or can develop much later (weeks to years).
Return to Broken Toe

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

Stubbed my little toe on wooden leg of love seat. Knew it was probably broken but kept going to work. I'm a mail carrier, after the 11th day I couldn't take it any longer as the pain was worse every day. Today went to doctor toe is broken and x-ray showed it is not fusing back together..They gave me a special shoe to wear, they want to x-ray in 2 weeks to see if it is fusing back together, if not they say I will have to have surgery. On a little toe LOL

Comment from: reese05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

The symptoms of my broken toe were swelling, throbbing pain, numbness and pain when walking.